4/4/09

Strange outsourcing

I made the following observation today while reading back on Darcy's blog about the Nunavut 10-year anniversary.

He linked to two news stories on cbc.ca:

One about education
and
One about mining

Both articles are on the longer side. So I'm not asking you to read them all the way through (but they are pretty interesting, and fairly well written). But here's the thing. Check out the byline.

Done?

It strikes me as odd (yes, sure, that's the word) that the Corp would post stories from a rival news source when it has many many reporters in the territory who live and work here. Seems like a strange use of resources to me.

Am I just out to lunch on this one? Or is this as bizarre as it seems?

3 comments:

Megan April 4, 2009 at 4:44 PM  

Yeah, it's really weird. Doesn't CP use freelancers in Iqaluit? They don't have staff there, do they?

Anonymous April 5, 2009 at 7:34 AM  

I saw that last week. I thought it was strange too.

Mom

KOTN April 6, 2009 at 8:26 AM  

I thought it strange as well, but the CP had one of their staff writers up here for the 10th, and he is a good one, so why do the same work twice when it is already being done for you?

I invited him to Nakasuk, which appears in one of the stories.