5/6/08

Resignations...

I tend to stay out of "political" debate on my blog... maybe because I spend a lot of my day reading or writing about it... but I found the following news story veeery interesting.

CBC just "broke" the story about 3 minutes ago.... it's not on the web yet, this is just a bare-bones of the story.

The president of the Kitikmeot Inuit Association has resigned.
Joe Otokiak was elected on March 18th.
But that was before voters learned that he was six months into a 12-month suspended sentence for assault.
And that he has a criminal record dating back two decades.
In a written statement, the executive director of the KIA says a new election will be held within the next few months.
In the meantime, Raymond Kayaksark will be acting president.
Kayaksark is the first vice-president of KIA.


For those not up on the origins of his resignation... here's a little background:

Kitikmeot board members outraged by president's criminal past

New KIA president's assault conviction appalls Nunavut women's council

UPDATE:
Now, to be fair, and to provide "both sides to the story" my local producer here in Rankin says Mr.
Otokiak is actually a very nice little man. But has a nasty history of wife-beating. So there you go.

5 comments:

Megan May 6, 2008 at 12:07 PM  

I wish I could say this is the first time.

Allmycke May 6, 2008 at 1:20 PM  

Sadly enough, I don't think it'll be the last time someone is found out to have a murky past, either...

Anonymous May 6, 2008 at 2:17 PM  

Hopefully this will cause a few MLA's to sit up and take notice.

Kennie May 6, 2008 at 7:14 PM  

Only time (and the publics voices) will tell.

W&MGrad May 7, 2008 at 12:13 PM  

I love irony: A very nice little man with a nasty history of wife-beating.

Only in politics!