5/20/08

Thoughts.

So, I'm sure I've offended someone... or some people... with my last post. Where I called an unnamed person a "giant racist"...

But here's the deal.

I am ready to acknowledge that that person wasn't being a "giant racist", or even an "average-sized" racist (thanks, Roloffs).

But this is MY blog, and a reflection of my ups and downs, good qualities and bad... snap judgments and well-thought-out reactions.

I was offended by what was said. Maybe I shouldn't have been, but I was. I was frustrated, and still am, at this ever-present language barrier that makes certain people out of my reach. So maybe I said something that wasn't true, and was a knee-jerk reaction. But I'm allowed those from time to time. And maybe it's a mistake to publish them for all to see...

But seriously folks. I don't do "hiding things" well. Writing is an outlet for me. And maybe that's going to come back to bite me in the ass, because while I don't "publish" my last name, it wouldn't take a genius to figure out who the CBC reporter in Rankin Inlet is. But I like to think of myself as an honest person. An honest person who can be emotional at times... and who struggles with this language and cultural barrier... and who gets frustrated at roadblocks.

That's just who I am, and I could say I'm sorry ... but I don't think I should be sorry for who I am.

The end.

10 comments:

Anonymous May 20, 2008 at 4:15 PM  

if you're going to post snap judgements that you will later realize were inaccurate and wrong maybe you could consider a private journal rather than broadcasting those thoughts to the world.
as you said, these posts can be traced back to you.

Jackie S. Quire May 20, 2008 at 4:20 PM  

Thank you for your input.

Though it might be nice if you left your name.

Jackie S. Quire May 20, 2008 at 4:23 PM  

Also, neither you nor I know what that person was thinking when they said that they'd only speak to an Inuk.

I'm no more automatically wrong than them.

Mom May 20, 2008 at 5:14 PM  

I like the new photo. Is this the fishing derby tent?

Megan May 20, 2008 at 7:36 PM  

Anonymous comments aren't worth much.

I think it takes a lot more courage to evaluate the things that happen to you, be honest about the way you react, and consider the possibility that you can be wrong. You're doing a great job, Jackie.

Anonymous May 21, 2008 at 9:19 AM  

While I can empathize with your frustrations, I'm not so sure that airing them on line is necessarily the most helpful way of going about it. I hear totally hear you on the language issue. It's not something that can be fixed over night of course and certainly, after 5 years, I always wish I could speak more.

Patience here is definitely a virtue. Sometimes you just have to put in your time in order to gain respect and trust. It can be a long road, but worth it in the end.

Anonymous does raise a good point, although, as you say, it would be nice if people actually left a name. Heaven knows I received a hefty helping of nasty comments following my little anti-seal hunting rants a few weeks back. Anyhow, just some food for thought.

hannah May 21, 2008 at 10:41 AM  

i didn't leave my name before because i did not have an account. i did not mean to imply that you were 'automatically wrong'. i simply meant what way way up perhaps phrased better : if feelings are coming from a place of anger and frustration, the internet may not be the best place for venting.
once it is out there you can not take it back. you can admit you were wrong, if you are, but those statements are still out there.

towniebastard May 21, 2008 at 12:23 PM  

I think the concern, Jackie, is that the following scenario will happen:

Someone in your community reads your blog and takes offence and what you just wrote. It gets around the community (getting skewered as it goes along, as these things tend to) and suddenly you have a racket on your hands. People complain to your employer and then things start to get ugly.

Is that going to happen in this case? Probably not. But I think the potential for it exists. Lord know rackets have started over sillier stuff up here.

I hate telling people to be careful what they write on their blogs, but you have to be. Especially if discussing work related issues. There's enough past prescident established to know this often leads to trouble.

I enjoy reading your blog and I have no desire to scare you or make you censor yourself. But I think on occasions when you're really, really frustrated about your job or some aspect of living in the north, you need to take five minutes, get up from the computer and ask "do I need the world to read that?"

If it's yes, then by all means hit "send." If you have doubts, you'll do yourself a favour in the long run by deleting and sending venting emails to family and friends instead.

KOTN May 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM  

That could be the fishing derby tent...

Sorry, I just wanted to help your Mom change the subject :)

Jackie S. Quire May 21, 2008 at 1:11 PM  

Mom, Kent,
Yes you are right. That IS the fishing derby tent.

And I'm more than willing to change the subject now. I've said what I want to say. :)