6/19/08

Nine little squares

I can sleep anywhere, anytime.

Seriously.

24-hour daylight? No problem.

Planes, trains, automobiles? I got it covered; put me in a moving vehicle and within 30 minutes the eyes droop...the head starts to bob...

Hell, I've even fallen asleep standing up once (granted I was really really tired, and kind of sick... and it may have been after my one-and-only all-nighter in university).

And while it generally works in my favour, it can be a bit tricky when you are doing some heavy-duty travelling. I end up completely throwing off any form of normal sleep pattern. Reading doesn't help, because reading makes me sleepy...

All-in-all it makes the process a little tricky. I generally just say screw-it, and give into my narcoleptic tendencies. But I did a bit of travelling by myself when I was living in France, and you hardly wanted to be caught dozing when on one of those high-speed trains... and end up in Budapest after a little catnap...

But then I found a solution.

Sudoku.

Yes, the little numbers-game that took the world by storm a couple years back is my savior. It doesn't need undivided attention, but it keeps my mind active... and thus not sleepy. I basically started taking a book of Sudoku around with my any time I was going to get on a plane. At least then I would be awake for all the freebies (as few and far between as they are these days)... and on shorter flights, I don't get completely messed up.**

So when I was packing my suitcase last night, I remembered SUDOKU! I haven't done a puzzle in ... maybe a year or so... and I've forgotten how much I like it. Little puzzles that don't zap too many brain cells... with light at the end of every little puzzle.

I sense a revival coming on of this long-neglected addiction....


** Anyone who knows me well is familiar with the fact that I am EXTREMELY dopey when I first wake up... which can lead to forgotten carry-on items ....

0 comments: