9/26/08

I may regret this, but...

From Kent of the North's blog:

Racism II

Lots of people say that they see it everywhere in the territory. When you see it, now you know what to do. Write it up as a completely blind item, and post it on your blog. Let's see how far this goes.
Okay.

A person is walking home after a night at the legion and a friend's party. When within site of their apartment building, is approached by two local men. The men taunt this person, saying they stole their jobs and should go back "down south." This person is beaten for an unspecified period of time.

A car stops by the site of the assault. People get out. Assault-ee jumps in the car, and gets in an accident.

Assault-ee is charged for impaired driving and vehicle theft.

Assault-ers are never charged.



I know you, Kent, have been giving mostly "racism against Inuks" examples on your blog. But I think it's only fair to show that this issue goes both ways.

And I agree with Kate's comment, I am routinely discriminated against for my age, gender, race and ability to speak a third language.

And it sucks.

6 comments:

Megan September 26, 2008 at 7:52 PM  

A young woman gives up all of her physical possessions and moves to an unfamiliar place where she only knows one person and is a visible minority. A co-worker tells her that she does not belong there and has none of the values of the office. For good measure, the co-worker gestures to the wall, where they are listed.

Kate Nova September 27, 2008 at 5:03 PM  

Young woman standing in hallway outside of an unnamed restaurant this very morning, looking at a poster on the wall, minding her own business.

Another woman runs directly into her, and starts yelling in a language her target clearly doesn't understand. The only words she can make out are "qallunaat" and "Suna."

"I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are saying," says the first woman.

"Why are you here? Why do you have to stand there? Why do you carry such a big bag?" answers the unreasonably hostile woman, this time in English.

"Funny," thinks the young woman. "These days, I'm not really sure why anymore."

She walks into the restaurant anyway, but the coffee tastes like shit.

Jackie S. Quire September 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM  

Yah kate, why DO you carry such a large bag!??


Ooops, forgot these were supposed to be 'blind' but then... how could we know what the young woman was thinking if it WASN'T you?


Rankin misses you. I made lunch today and I think you would have hearted it.

Kate Nova September 27, 2008 at 5:38 PM  

Haha, because it fits my camera, a notepad and a granola bar!

I think I drank pop for lunch, so I definitely would have hearted some good grub. :)

I liked the Agnico-Eagle story BTW.

KOTN September 29, 2008 at 9:14 AM  

This is exactly the response I was hoping to spawn. Don't you say sorry to me Ms. Esquire, you keep doing what you are doing.

Jackie S. Quire September 29, 2008 at 9:29 AM  

KOTN:

Luckily, my 'blind item' didn't happen to me - but rather, to a good friend of mine. But that's not the point, because it was unfair, it IS unfair, and has completely changed this person's life.