9/11/07

Dreams come true.

This whole thing... it's insane.
Things have moved so fast.

Every time I think I'm going to be stuck without a job, something comes my way first Quebec... now this....

And every now and then, I'll be laying in bed, staring at the ceiling.... and it will hit me... that I actually have a career. I'm twenty-two... and I am on staff with CBC Radio. That's all I've ever wanted... and something I thought was so very out of reach, so impossible. I feel like I spent so much of my time at j-school feeling defeated before I even graduated.

I remember in J-4000 during one of the presentations, they asked who planned on going into PR, and I had my hand up before they even finished the question. Not because I didn't WANT to do journalism, but because I just didn't think I COULD. I wasn't one of those kids that had the amazing internship in third year. I didn't intern over the summers. I didn't write for the Charlatan. It kind of makes me think I don't deserve this... but I know that's not true, because I did work my butt off this summer. I am good at telling stories. I know that. It just seems too unreal haha.

I keep saying that this summer, working in Quebec City, is/was a dream come true. Now THIS has become my "NEW" dream come true... looks like I'm going to have to think up a new dream job... because it seems a bit silly to have accomplished "everything" at such a young age haha.

Maybe my next dream job will be closer to the family, to the friends. Where pop isn't outrageously priced, and I can get my hands on a good slice of pizza.

There, that's a reasonable... semi-unobtainable goal, right?

5 comments:

Kate Nova September 13, 2007 at 6:35 PM  

You are going to have an amazing time telling stories up here. I know I am! Good luck with your new job.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan September 13, 2007 at 11:02 PM  

Hello from Kugluktuk! I found it odd when I started my first real "career" job! I was 24 and was working as an instructor for a Aurora College in Hay River. Now 4 years later I am in Kugluktuk and have been running the learning centre here for the last 2 years. So I have already moved up the food chain! It is the job that I had wanted for a long time and I have to say that I am proud of myself for getting it!!
Good luck with your job! I am sure you are going to love it.

Renée September 17, 2007 at 7:14 PM  

jackie: it truly warms my heart to read that you're getting to have your dream job. you know what's weird? i was convinced that i was going to be a journalist (one of the ones in j4000 that didn't put up my hand for PR)...and now what i am doing? PR!!! haha...and i actually enjoy it. my gf and i just bought a house and i'm loving life...funny how life works out eh?

Jackie S. Quire September 17, 2007 at 8:59 PM  

renee: OH MY GOD I'm so happy for you and kelly! Congrats on the house! Where is it? TELL ME MORE!

Renée September 20, 2007 at 8:42 PM  

thanks jackie!!! yeah it's in kanata...pretty new house...very gorgeous inside...we're SO excited about it...closing date in november 30 so we don't move until then...we're definitely gathering up the stuff already though...kettles, towels, dishes...it's been so great! anyway...best of luck getting you (and all your stuff) up to nunavut. will we be able to listen to your stories online or something?