9/2/07

Midnight sun, mid-day moon

So it's 7:52 and it's dark in Quebec City.

I am looking out my 4th-floor apartment window, with its classic view of the Price building and Chateau Frontenac... and I was thinking to myself how early it gets dark here, and then it hit me.

I can't imagine living in a place where darkness reins.
I've always, literally always, been a major sun-worshiper (without the cult-like status). I mean, let's be honest. I grew up on PEI, had unlimited access to beaches for four summers... was the most tan person I know.

How will I survive without the sun?

What a stupid little detail, but one I'm hung up on nonetheless. It's not as though I'm thinking Rankin Inlet would be the optimum place to get a tan, but... it'll just be strange I guess.

I hope its not as bad as I think.

Photo: winter daytime in Nunavut. Courtesy of
Jen's photobucket from
http://jenofnunavut.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous September 3, 2007 at 6:06 PM  

Hi,
You may not have all the sun you want but the Aurora Borealis is awesome and well worth th elack of sun...when I first saw them, I thought the world was coming to an end as I had never seen anythng like them...they dance before your eyes..
Priscilla

Jackie S. Quire September 3, 2007 at 6:31 PM  

Actually, Percy....
I honestly think I will be able to die happy once I see them.
It is probably the thing I want to see most right now.
I saw a picture on another girl's blog (she lives on Baffin Island though, so further up...) of this beautiful luminous green streak dancing across the sky.
I can't wait.