8/9/08

The Big Shed

My life is covered in dog hair.

I kid you not. If you were to carefully inspect my belly-button, I'm pretty sure you'd find dog hair hiding away inside.

It's "hot" here in Rankin Inlet... and the puppy is trying to adjust his coat. And it's going to drive me up the wall. I could brush him every single day, and every day I'd pull out 3 large brushfulls of puppy fur. I just gave the little bugger a much-needed bath... walked away for 10 minutes, and when I saw him again, it looked like his fur had grown a full 2 inches in places.

The shedding fur had dislodged itself during the shake-down.

I wonder what a person can do with excess dog hair. It's pretty soft... maybe I could make pillows out of it. Or little stuffed toys. It's not long enough to knit a sweater, so that's out. But I really thing the pillow thing might fly. OOOooooooo, I wonder how insulative it is. Maybe I could whip up my own brand of northern jacket. Canada Goose-style...only it would need to have some kind of Sully/Corgi/Sheltie play on words for its name. What about Puppy Parka.

Hmmm...

But seriously,

I really can't wait for this summer-shed thing to be over, it simply can't be healthy to breathe in so much dog hair.

Just watch, I'll probably end up with dog-fur-inflicted-lung-cancer a la asbestos.

4 comments:

towniebastard August 9, 2008 at 9:01 PM  

I have a friend who used to collect Newfoundland dog fur and spin it on her loom (I think that's the correct term for what she did). So yes, you could, quite possibly, make yourself a nice dog fur scarf for the winter months.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan August 9, 2008 at 9:13 PM  

Buy a furminator!!! It is the best brush we have for our beasties.

Anonymous August 10, 2008 at 1:26 AM  

Honest to god, I have a dog fur hat. in pink. And I used to have the scarf but that was far too itchy. Someone got it for me from the Yukon. I guess this woman will take a bag o' hair, spin it and ta-da! Yarn.

Robyn August 10, 2008 at 8:38 PM  

Fur in your bellybutton? Is it keeping Cletus warm? ;)