8/6/08

Travel tips

So the countdown is on. I'll be leaving for UK adventure 2008 in nine short days. And I reaaaallly can't wait.

And I've been doing my research ... reading anything/everything I can about travelling through the states and into the UK. In my humble opinion...this trip has the potential to be one of the most complicated of all time... so the whole Brownie "be prepared" motto is my new mantra.

Why complicated, you ask?

First, because of the many different flights/countries I'm travelling through... which (at least last time) means picking up checked baggage and re-checking at each new entry point. Maybe it's different when you travel on the same airline/family of airlines. I can only hope.

Second, because I'm travelling through the states. And the TSA is a total and complete jerkstore. The security personnel are mean... and they make you take off your shoes... and they keep locking me in this box to blow air at me (presumably to make sure I've not got any explosive materials hidden somewhere on my person)*

Finally, because I'm flying into the UK. And sometimes that means different rules. For the longest time they only let people have one small carry-on ... but I'm fairly sure they've changed that. This would be the biggest complication of all because my way of getting around the multi-flight/multi-country hassle is to not check any baggage. Yep, I'm travelling light. I was once told that the best way to gauge if you have packed too much luggage is that you should be able to carry your suitcase up three flights of stairs by yourself.

*point of clarification: the machine blows the air, not the security personel. Though that WOULD make the experience a bit more enjoyable....for reasons of general hilarity, of course.

One last point to ponder...

I was reading the TSA flight tips (yep, I need a hobby) and came across this:

So, according to the TSA, I should dress in a spandex unitard, and not wear a bra. Clearly they have not considered what kind of safety hazard this really poses for the rest of the passengers on any flight I am on. They would be seriously scarred for life.

6 comments:

Jennith August 6, 2008 at 2:17 PM  

That is funny - not you in a unitard - I don't actually know what you look like - but I can't say I've ever thought about my bra before boarding a plane. I try to take the change out of my pockets sometimes...

Jackie S. Quire August 6, 2008 at 2:24 PM  

LOL, I used to worry about my bra back when I was younger and embarrassed about such things...

But take my word for it, me in a unitard is not anything you should ever try to imagine. I'm shuddering, and it's ME. Haha.

:D

PS, thanks for coming out of the woodworks to comment :)

Kate Nova August 6, 2008 at 4:42 PM  

Jerkstore is my new favourite word.

Kennie August 6, 2008 at 6:05 PM  

maybe that's why I kept beeping going through the detector on my way back up .... hmmm .... blame the bra ... not the faulty equipment. Although, I almost was frisked by one of them cause the button and rivets on my jeans were setting things off too. And where might I ask I get rivetless jeans? I mean, am I supposed to fly wearing my yoga pants?

Mom August 6, 2008 at 6:19 PM  

Did you read my e-mail about the baggage info on UK flights? Same carry on as Air Canada (one piece 55x 40x 23 cm) and one smaller item -laptop hand bag etc.

Mom

Jackie S. Quire August 6, 2008 at 6:25 PM  

Actually, Kennie, I TOTALLY wear yoga pants when I know I'm going to be doing long-haul travelling, haha. I have no shame!