12/7/07

Jackie's home remedy for limited sunlight

I have developed an almost fool-proof method for getting up in the AM... even though the sun doesn't really start to rise until 9:30 or so now (I know because while it can be a pain in the butt sometimes... the stretch of windows along the wall of our office has a startling view of the morning sun ... which occasionally blinds me, so I have to close the shutters.)

First, I set my alarm clock half an hour before I really want to get up, and I place it ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE ROOM. That way, I have no choice but to get OUT of bed to press the snooze button. This is essential.

Also, I try to keep my room as messy as possible. So that it's not just that I have to get out of bed to turn off the alarm, but I also have to maneuver over, around and through a very complex obstacle course.

Finally, after the SECOND time my alarm clock goes off... I turn on my light before getting back into bed. That way, its like the sun has very suddenly and abruptly risen. And it is clearly time to get my butt out of bed.

Try it. Totally flawless

5 comments:

Anonymous December 7, 2007 at 1:02 PM  

So you have been preparing for the last seven years for the Land of the Midnight sun or at this point the Land of limited sun. I'm sure you can figure out the part of your routine to which I am referring.

Mom

Shelagh December 7, 2007 at 4:42 PM  

This is very similar to my own morning technique. I also add an extrememly determined cat into the mixture and it has 100% success rate. On the first alarm snooze, they are determined to stay in bed by trapping you under the blankets. By the second alarm, they are determined to wake you up.

Jaime December 7, 2007 at 7:44 PM  

I've tried that and it doesn't work. I end up putting the pillow over my face or falling back asleep with the light!


jaime

Kennie December 8, 2007 at 9:01 AM  

Quite similar to my morning routine... but add in an iPod that is attached to speakers that plays either NIN, Depeche Mode or Pearl Jam at a good volume that automatically begins to play 15 minutes after I turn off my alarm (no snooze button here ... I just flick it off .. can be quite disastrous when the iPod doesn't go off).

Aida December 9, 2007 at 11:54 AM  

totally have to let Frank try it..LOL