12/12/07

Latte Wednesday(s?)

Today, my friends, is a latte day.
I've been thinking about this moment for a couple days now. Putting it off because regular coffee "would do"... but today.
No, today is a latte day.

I have been teasing myself with it... for the past five minutes... very a la Ally McBeal...
Gradually sipping at the foam, but not touching the beverage itself.

I'm sure I'll give in sooner or later... hopefully before it reaches the inevitable "lukewarm" temperature. But this one stupid little ritual has made me oddly nostalgic for Quebec City.

Not far from the station there... maybe a five minute walk or so... there was this coffee shop.

Not a Starbucks, not a Second Cup, not a Van Houtte...

It was "la Brulerie de Quebec." Best and cheapest coffee in town.

A dollar per espresso shot. Add milk and you've got a latte. Or don't and just enjoy the tarty goodness of the espresso. Never add sugar. Sugar's for wussies.

So yah, I miss that, and other little things Quebec had to offer, but I also... LOVE the much more "relaxe" atmosphere here. Everyone goes home for lunch... or at the very least DOESN'T WORK.

I think that's just the greatest thing, because... as I'm sure is the same with other jobs... it is all too easy to work though the lunch. Eating at your desk, waiting by the phone for people to call you back.

Haha, I guess I'll just have to break down and buy myself that espresso machine for Christmas. That way, at least, I can have lattes more than once a month, and they won't cost me a whopping 5.75

4 comments:

Rob, Tina and the boys December 12, 2007 at 2:45 PM  

So where do you get a latte there?? I must admit, I love coffee but have never had a latte.

Jackie S. Quire December 12, 2007 at 2:48 PM  

We have this little "coffee shop/lunch place/diner" called the Sugar Rush.

They specialize in donuts and cookies and the like... and I've never seen anyone order an espresso-drink there besides me... (don't blame them when "regular" coffee there is just 2.75) but they make a mean latte.

And it is wonderful.

Rob, Tina and the boys December 12, 2007 at 5:02 PM  

I'm jealous. The only place here to get a coffee besides my kitchen is the Northern, or the Gas bar which is owned by the Northern. I prefer my own. :)

jen December 13, 2007 at 8:39 AM  

Everday is a Latte day for me! Everyday! And we don't have a coffee shop.
They are really easy to make by yourself. Brew strong coffee (2tblsp per cup water). Heat a cup-half cup milk (the higher the percentage the yummier) in Microwave for 50 seconds. Blend said milk in blender/bullet(this froths is), poor simultaneously along with coffee into cup = Latte.