12/20/07

A little splash


A couple weeks ago, there was a woman from Nova Scotia (Kerry Lawson) who gave an "introduction to yoga" session here in Rankin Inlet. Jaime and I went ... in hopes, really, that it would be someone gaging interest for yoga in the community, and would be starting up a class in the new year.

This wasn't the case, but in the process... somewhere between the deep breathing and the chai tea, I knew I had to do a story about this woman. Well, not just her, but what she does, and why she does it, and the experiences she's had up here.

I had a little trouble "selling" it to co-workers, but I just... I had a vision of what this story could be.

She came into the studio, and told me about her grandmother dying of Alzheimer's... of the children she's taught yoga to... of the reactions she's had from the elders.

Now, I'm not really a yoga buff. Sure I have a pair or two of yoga pants... but they are more for lounging than asanas... but this whole thing just called to me.

To make a long story short, I ended up sending it to syndication (for those who aren't really on the up and up re: CBC's inner-workings, that just means that the story gets offered up to all the morning or afternoon shows in the country).

Now here's where the actually cool part of the blog entry comes in. I got an email from her yesterday, well a couple ... really. Telling me:

Just got an email from an important person in gov who said they heard the show this am on the Yoga. She said it was very good, and well done. That means alot, cause this person is pretty critical and sensitive to Inuit issues and it was the gov people I always worry about hearing any interviews....

...

also....so much has happened as a result of this last trip and the meeting with the Elders....its all very amazing and positive.

...

Wow, more emails...seems your story has started something. Seems its the part about the Elders saying they used to do "games" that resembled the Yoga that has caught attention. Its funny that the similarity wasn't ever noticed before...even the Arctic Winter games remind me of Yoga-the concentration, some of what they do looks very much like Yoga poses...

anyway, its very interesting. CBC has done 4 stories so far in the last 3 years on the Yoga I do in the North with the youth but this one is the first that has had responses.....


I just thought that was the coolest thing of all time. That government folks are hearing my stories, and its making them think in different ways.

I guess that is... really... what makes this job worth doing.

*happy smile, dumb grin

5 comments:

Sarah N December 20, 2007 at 11:28 AM  

you go, girl! shanti shanti!

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan December 20, 2007 at 1:48 PM  

She was here in Kugluktuk and I got to do prenatal yoga with her! It was hilarious. Congrats on making such a good article!

Shelagh December 21, 2007 at 7:47 AM  

Congratulations Jackie... it is such an amazing feeling when you actually make a difference. Good for you!!

Rob, Tina and the boys December 21, 2007 at 8:21 AM  

That's awesome. Just shows you are good at your job. I would have liked to have seen / heard the article.

KOTN December 21, 2007 at 9:01 AM  

They will turn on you (not the yoga folks, the government).

Sounds like an awesome story, and getting syndicated is a good feather in your cap.

Take it from an experienced cynic, the people happy with your story will be the first ones to turn on you the next time you do something they don't agree with.

It's tough out there, never take off your helmet.

That said, great job on the story, and keep pushing for the stories YOU think are important. It is the best way to keep yourself happy, and that's what matters at the end of the day.

Trust no one. Merry Christmas ;)