12/2/07

whirlwind city

I realized this week that I have been living up north for a full two months now.

It certainly doesn't feel that long. I can't exactly say I've been having the time of my life, but time certainly has flown.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't describe myself as UNHAPPY but I think its fair to say I'm still in the adjustment stage.

Sometimes I just love how mellow things are... that I really am able to recharge on the weekends (and after the NTI-filled week of last.... I certainly needed it).

But sometimes I just miss the company. I've not yet really reached the point with the people I know here, where I don't feel like I'm imposing... and I live a bit out of the way, so it seems a bit hard to get people to come down, for something so "trivial" as a movie night or whatever. Or maybe I've just not really tried hard enough.

And I just feel really.... spread thin emotionally right now. There is some drama going on in my life right now, (not involving me directly, but I am feeling like the aftershocks of it) and I'm feeling very conflicted about it all. I have this incessant urge to "fix things" ... to make things better and have everything be okay. But at the same time I can't get too involved in things because its not really my problem to solve. It just leaves me kinda stressed out. And I thought I had left that part of me behind in the "south"

My attempt at purchasing a wii is a complete bust. I ended up having costco return my money, because they officially couldn't find it, and now it is out of stock. Which sucks. And now that it is so close to Christmas, it's kind of like I don't have a chance in hell now.

Its just annoying because I have all these games... I guess it's just a lesson in cart and horse placement.

I think I just have to start my own little weekend rituals, maybe. I am considering subscribing to at least the weekend edition of the Ottawa Citizen. I'm sitting here on my couch, drinking Chai Tea (which I didn't even think I liked....) thinking how nice it would be to be reading a paper right now. The local weeklies just don't satisfy that craving.

This has been a really abstract post. But I think I'm just very all over the place right now.

6 comments:

jen December 3, 2007 at 11:59 AM  

Don't worry, I know exactly how you feel! I was there last year and am kind of there right now. Don't forget the most important thing...the SUN not being there is HUGE! You might not realize it, but that can really make you feel way more blue about things. After Christmas thing start getting sunnier everyday! Make sure to pamper yourself around this time, and yeah start your own weekend rituals. It's important to take these feeling seriously around this time of year, especially for us northerns who used to be southerns used to having people, shopping, sun, lattes and a whole lot more jazz. I have been making Christmas cards and homemade decorations to keep my mind off of the blues. You and Sully will make it!

Rob, Tina and the boys December 3, 2007 at 11:59 AM  

Have you tried ordering a WII through Selections? You get a cool rebate depending on how much money you spend and it's delivered super cheap to the Northern. And as for the mellow pace, I'm just adjusting to it also.

Rob, Tina and the boys December 3, 2007 at 12:01 PM  

Look at the time stamps for mine and Jen's comments! They are at the exact same time! Great minds think alike!

Jackie S. Quire December 3, 2007 at 12:03 PM  

I noticed that because I got the notification at the exact same time in my inbox. Creeepy!

Tina: I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT WHAT A GREAT IDEA. I am looking into it right now. Thanks!!!!

Sarah N December 3, 2007 at 1:12 PM  

Chin up buttercup. It's -37 here today, my pen exploded in my hand on my 5 am walk with the new puppy and my clothes smell like dog poo but I'm still smiling. :)

Jackie S. Quire December 3, 2007 at 1:16 PM  

Sarah: Oh the dog poo. How we learn to embrace it. I almost don't even notice it anymore, and am just glad if the puppy doesn't step in it before I get a chance to clean it off the floor.
Eventually we will master going outside, but I feel that's a bit of a ways off haha.
What name did you pick?