4/5/08

Fierce Invalid

So, I'm feeling a lot less schmoopy about my newfound disability. I'm not going to lie, hobbling around my apartment is no easy task. And the puppy is really hard to take care of (we were doing SO WELL with the total house training - - he had been going on puppy pads up to this point because it was so cold out). A good routine was established... and now that's all gone to shit.

I don't really own any "convenience food" - so I have been making giant batches of potatoes and then microwaving them as the need arises.

But boy came over last night, and suddenly my life doesn't feel so shatty. Made me dinner (whoohoo fishburgers) and cleaned up my kitchen. I nearly died of happiness.

And I've finally found some adaptive ways of dealing with my gimpy foot... At one point I was using my desk chair as a wheelchair in my kitchen/bathroom/dining room area... aka the cushioned floor section (a good half ... if not more of my apartment) but then as I was scooting over the threshold between the kitchen and the dining room one of the wheels snapped off. So that is no longer an option...

But I've figured out how to bring a plate to the table from the kitchen (only use one crutch, and hold it in the other hand). And I always wear hoodies - - that little pouch can carry everything from bottles of water to snacks... to dirty dishes. And the hood is the perfect little place to put DVDs while I make the trek from the living room to my bed...

I hate crutches, but they are better than crawling around the apartment, but my left butt muscle is totally going to take over my body by the end of this. It's getting a major workout. And I'm going to have some killer armpit muscles too.

I am trying to make the best of this. I'm not really stir crazy yet, it's only been 2 days... but I think I may be going insane. Boy and I were watching TV last night and I found myself jealous of this guy stepping out of a car... and every woman wearing high heels. Haha, like YOU DON'T KNOW HOW GOOD YOU HAVE IT TV-LAND PEOPLE! I was even jealous of House because at least he could hobble better than I... but then his missing leg-muscle is slightly more chronic than my piddly ankle.

All in all... I'm watching a lot of episodes of Arrested Development, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and Bones. When I take the T3's I was given I tend to drift in and out of consciousness haha... ah well. I'm making pizza from scratch today... with the world's best home-made pizza dough. So that's a bit of normalcy. But to be honest, I can't wait to have my foot back. Life will be so much easier.

Monday's the big day: that's when I go in again to have more x-rays and find out what the situation really is. The swelling was too bad on Thursday.

3 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan April 5, 2008 at 11:45 AM  

And the wheel broke off.... MY GOD WOMAN! What did you do to end up with this kind of karma??

Jackie S. Quire April 5, 2008 at 12:27 PM  

Lol, here's what I figure, I've had incredible luck in the parts of life that really matter (job, family, friends, love, and even a bit on the finance side) so Karma punches me to even the score when it comes to piddly things like broken chairs/ankles/eye lashes lol.

Megan April 5, 2008 at 7:00 PM  

Man, what lousy luck.