4/6/08

Mother dearest...

I think this whole "becoming your mother" thing has gone too far.

For months now ... I have been on the prowl for an opal ring. I've seen a lot I don't like, and a lot with really big stones, or ugly "fire" (I lean towards the white ones with light turquoise and pink flecks)... or only existed in yellow gold (I'm a silver/white gold kinda girl).

And today, while holed up in my little traction-coccoon I finally found one.

And it's exactly like the one my mother has.
I remember seeing her ring when I was a kid, and thinking how dainty it looked on her fingers (hers always long and thin, with neatly trimmed nails... mine to this day stubby and at varying legnths... with the occasional dirt wedged beneath them.) and how pretty the little opal sat, surrounded by a starburst.

I remember just a couple years ago, the opal coming dislodged and she being sad... it was a present she bought herself. I don't know when, I don't know how, I don't know why. And it had special meaning for her.

And now I've found my opal too. And maybe someday it will sit on my finger. Transforming my pudgy child-paws into elegant woman-hands. Maybe. But after all, it is just a ring.

Update:
And those pesky links that didn't work in the comments section:
The ring
And the other one I like from the same site.

5 comments:

Anonymous April 6, 2008 at 2:21 PM  

So the story behind the opal. Years agoI worked at a store which had a jewellry section. There was a white gold ring with a fire opal surrounded by eight diamond chips. I really liked it but at the time I couldn't afford it.

Years later I was visiting my friend Mary in BC when we saw a similar ring (only yellow gold) on sale for half price. I think it was Mary who convinced me to buy it. That was in 1980.

Your Dad by the way had the new opal inserted and resized a couple of years ago for Christmas.

So that's the story.

Trace April 6, 2008 at 4:43 PM  

Funny we both have the same first name, come from the same province and have the same tastes in jewelry. I love the ring. Where did you see it?

Jackie S. Quire April 6, 2008 at 4:57 PM  

Mom: Thanks! I remembered you saying you had to save up for it etc. but I don't think I knew the whole story.

Tracey:

http://www.jewelsforme.com/item-main.asp?ItemNumber=1824R-14&Gemtype=10&Metal=W&ItemMonth=&Ad=&CU= is the link to that specific ring.
The other one I quite like is http://www.jewelsforme.com/item-main.asp?ItemNumber=1612R-14&Gemtype=10&Metal=W&ItemMonth=&Ad=&CU=
but it's a little engagement-ring looking. The parent site is www.jewelsforme.com

May I ask how you came across the blog?? Always interested in these things...

Jackie S. Quire April 6, 2008 at 5:00 PM  

Ug, the links didn't work, Tracey, I'm going to alter the post with the two links at the end so you can just click on them.

Trace April 7, 2008 at 11:37 AM  

Actually your site was a link from another northern blog that I clicked on randomly one day about a month ago. Saw that you were the only one from PEI in the north that I know of, though there is a few people from the East coast,eh? I think the scenery pictures on these blogs I read are beautiful and some of the stories about life in the north are very interesting.
Thanks