10/21/08

Darkness descends

It's funny. I never really had a big preference for one season over another.

Until I moved up north.

And now, I hate fall.

Fall is the time of year when we LOSE our sunlight. And it's a lot colder than the fall I've come to know and feel apathetic about.

I'm looking out my window and it's 5 o'clock and the sky is nearing dusk.

Not yet, but soon.

I think I find this the hardest time of year. You don't want to go outside because it's progressively getting colder, and it's harder to get out of bed in the mornings (not like that's my most redeeming quality in the first place).

It was right around this time last year when I arrived in Rankin. A day later a dense fog settled down upon the community. The boy was actually stuck in Whale Cove for a week when I first got here. And my worldly goods were delayed for weeks.

And while it's been a couple days since I've seen the sun (I'm talking that big yellow globe-thing, not light in general)... today is actually a pretty nice day. Intermittent snow. A light dusting on the roads and on the ground. And the snow on the hills (no, Megan, they aren't reflecting) actually glows a bit against the murky sky.

Oh, and my new, swank, snowmobile helmet arrived today. It's black, silver and lime green. You know you're jealous.

1 comments:

Mongoose October 21, 2008 at 6:30 PM  

You bet I am. If I sold everything I own I wouldn't have enough to buy a snowmobile. :)