10/28/08

Election night

So I briefly considered liveblogging the Nunavut election ... but things just happened way too quickly for that to have been a realistic idea.

Within an hour or so of the polls closing we had our Rankin Inlet votes tallied...

And the winner is.... (in case you weren't paying attention)

Lorne Kusugak.

The Rankin Inlet South / Whale Cove riding was seen as one of the more interesting of the bunch. Here we had Lorne Kusugak, the mayor, take on Levinia Brown, cabinet minister for Community and Government Services.

This is election two of three for us here. The third, and final election will take place this December... that gives us a month to let the dust settle before things start up again. I don't know if I can take it.

Okay, I'm being a little over-dramatic. To be honest, the territorial election wasn't as crazy as I initially thought. Sure there's been a lot of new faces around the office... and I started my shift at 7pm tonite (it's now 1:28 as I type this, and I've not taken a 'meal break' so while I'm officially done at 2:45 I'm going to call it quits and go home, because the rest of my coworkers have, and there's nothing left to do here anyways).

While there wasn't complete mayhem, as I expected, there were a few note-worthy elements:

  1. I actually had the "thud-thud" heart beating in the throat when the numbers were being counted for the Rankin South/WC riding and the Baker Lake one too. I think I was feeding off of everyone else's anticipation, rather than my own.
  2. I am glad, from a reporter POV, to have been working tonite. I made calls to all the perspective MLAs, and while I'm sure I've been long forgotten at this point, maybe my naggy little voice made an impression on them, and here's hoping I'm remembered come tomorrow (or next week, or next month)
  3. Finally, on the more gossip-y side of things... the incumbent was supposed to have set up shop locally, here, at the Sugar Rush. But according to people who staked out the 'rush all night.... she never showed, or called. Hmm. I'll let you all speculate.
That's all from the election front. I'm beat. It's time for me to jump aboard my loaner-honda and put-put my way home. Did I mention it's -13 right now?

9 comments:

Anonymous October 28, 2008 at 11:52 AM  

Did you see this release. More politicians in Nunavut should outline their plans like this. Tagak's proposal for a breakfast program for kids in school is a good idea. What do you think?

---
NEWS RELEASE

TAGAK CURLEY OUTLINES 10 POINT PLAN TO DELIVER BETTER GOVERNMENT FOR NUNAVUT

Rankin Inlet, NU (October 24, 2008) - On the eve of the Nunavut election, with the vote set for Monday, October 27, 2008, Tagak Curley announced his commitment to improve government services for all Nunavummiut.

"Over this campaign, I've been listening carefully to my constituents in Rankin Inlet North and the message I've heard is loud and clear:
Nunavummiut want better programs and services from the Government of Nunavut," said Tagak.

"All segments of our population in Nunavut, including the young, students, elders, women, business owners, hunters, fishers and others expect better leadership from our government."

In the next Legislative Assembly, Tagak confirmed his priorities, among others, will include to:

1. examine the feasibility of establishing a breakfast program for all schools in Nunavut;

2. improve health care including better and more reliable air travel for the ill and their families;

3. double the number of new housing units to be built;

4. encourage more local Inuit training and employment opportunities;

5. improve government contracting practices allowing more local business to benefit from government business;

6. more roads, and a harbour or a wharf for all communities;

7. improve cargo handling at community airports and improved food mail for more affordable healthy food choices;

8. increase capacity for the local administration of justice, including more local court houses;

9. increase in number of local police; and

10. more reliance on elders and traditional knowledge for regulating local hunting.

"In the next Legislative Assembly, we have to do more to improve the lives of all Nunavummiut here at the local level in the community,"
said Tagak.

Tagak concluded: "A better way for Nunavut begins with change, and change begins with your vote on Election Day. So, please, get out and vote on Monday."

To learn more about Tagak Curley, visit http://www.TAGAK.ca.

- 30 -

Megan October 28, 2008 at 12:29 PM  

I guess Nunavut politicians understand the need to reach out to bloggers!

towniebastard October 28, 2008 at 3:15 PM  

Yeah, funny how I got the exact same post on my blog.

You'd almost thing somebody might be running for premier or something...

Jackie S. Quire October 28, 2008 at 3:18 PM  

Too bad I fell for it, and already started writing a response.

Silly me for taking it seriously.

Mongoose October 28, 2008 at 5:04 PM  

Actually I liked your response; just because the commenter may not have been sincere doesn't mean your answer wasn't worth reading. (It showed up on my reader, that's how I know.)

I'll put in my zero cents and say that yes schools should have a breakfast program in my opinion, not just in Nunavut but everywhere, because you can't focus when you're light-headed and your stomach is grumbling because you haven't eaten since last night.

And second, I agree that Nunavut needs roads. Everywhere. I haven't given the slightest thought to feasibility, mind you, but one could argue that it's good for sovereignty, and then I don't think it matters to the federal government whether it's cost-effective or not.

Amongst other things, roads "should" have a positive impact on the food situation, because trucks are cheaper and more flexible than planes. Then you wouldn't have to worry about food mail being delayed by fog, amongst other things.

Anonymous October 28, 2008 at 5:50 PM  

Please repost your analysis of Tagak's 10 point plan, Jackie. Please. We need the debate in Nunavut and bloggers like you have a role.

Jackie S. Quire October 29, 2008 at 9:51 AM  

All:
I have written a response to this. My intent was to post it after work (the version Mongoose referenced had some errors and needed to be proofread) and I published it by mistake.

Mongoose: I agree with you. However I've heard estimates that the Man-NU road could cost something like a million bucks a KM. *shudder*

Mongoose October 29, 2008 at 9:15 PM  

Holy sheep crap. Now I'm curious what would make it so expensive.

Jackie S. Quire October 30, 2008 at 1:02 PM  

MONGOOSE: Wish I knew where I had heard that.