10/19/08

Dear Nunavut Blogging Community:

Once upon a time, not so many months ago...we were happy.
Things were peaceful, we got along.
We supported one another, left encouraging messages, sent care packages...

Those were simpler times.

Since then much has changed; some have moved on geographically, moved on in our priorities, moved on in our relationships.
But it doesn't have to end!
Flame wars and hiatuses are juicy and stir up adrenaline...

But it seems we are losing sight.

Each of us writing do it for a reason. To keep in touch, to inform, to vent, to share, to discuss.
No one started their blog with the intention of pissing others off, of week-long battles in comment sections.
But perspectives differ, intentions get skewed, passing comments taken too seriously.
And battles begin.

I've seen more than one blogger step back from the keyboard over cyber-confrontations.
And it sucks.
Because while I've had days where I've considered the same, we need to remember why and for whom we write.
If it's for the benefit of the Nunavut Blogging Community, then maybe stepping back over one of these incidents is the answer.
But if we're writing for ourselves, for our families and friends, for prospective residents (or WHOMEVER).... then maybe it's not.

But what do I know.
Maybe the blogging community, like the north, is a transient one.
Maybe a few of us will remain after the dust has settled. And the cycle will begin again...

But until then I have to wonder:
Can't we all just get along?

8 comments:

Rob, Tina and the boys October 19, 2008 at 10:39 AM  

Nunavut and others! Don't forget us down here below the treeline! And I agree with you. Keep blogging everyone! Do it for us that are stay at home parents and have no real life! :)

Anonymous October 19, 2008 at 10:55 AM  

I have to admit to be partially responsible for at least some of the silliness. Politics tends to bring out my feistiness. Much of it was intended to be tongue-in-check but it can be difficult to show my voice intonation in an on-line discussion. In the meantime I've taken down my political postings - or at least the ones I felt were the most acerbic.

I'll the rantings and ravings for the anti-seal hunt crowd in the spring. I'm sure I'll have a good store of fuel to burn off by then.

:)

Jackie S. Quire October 19, 2008 at 11:06 AM  

Tina: I considered addressing it "northern" blogging community, but decided to address it just to 'nunavut' because that's where most of the tensions have been of late.

things seem rather peaceful on your page haha :)

WWU: Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'blaming' anyone, but I certainly know what you mean by tone being skewed.

Anonymous October 19, 2008 at 11:15 AM  

Heh....no worries. I'll save the angst and ire for the spring. I'm not sure what my rants will actually accomplish but if its anything like last year, at least it will be entertaining.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan October 19, 2008 at 11:41 AM  

Sounds good!

Everyone should just kiss and make up!

Megan October 19, 2008 at 12:10 PM  

I have always been jealous of the Nunavut blogging community. You guys all seem much closer than we are here in the NWT.

Don't lose that. It's too easy to get offended online. Flame wars are stupid and distract you from everything you could be accomplishing as a group.

Anonymous October 19, 2008 at 12:40 PM  

I think polite disagreement will always have a place in any community, the Nunavut blogging community is no exception. It is sad when it devolves into the insults, but I think again that has become almost, expected, on-line. I think we've become conditioned to the protection of a certain anonymity when participating in disagreements on line, and that is what ends up showing.

Of course Nunavut is a small enough place that that anonymity does not exist. It doesn't take too long to figure out who people are, and who the (what would normally pass as) subtle digs are about.

I'm proud of the Nunavut Blogging community, and my small role in it. I'm proud that we have different, but not dissimilar voices. I hope that we do have disagreements BUT I hope that we continue to maintain the politeness and decorum that we USUALLY bring to those disagreements.

KOTN October 20, 2008 at 3:29 PM  

Polyanna


:)