10/23/08

Spark some interest in the north....

Okay dear readers, especially dear NORTHERN readers, who do not always post in comment sections but I know you visit (because my Statcounter says so) I NEED YOUR HELP.

I am doing a story for one of the CBC's southern programs, called Spark. You can read about the show here. I have long been a fan of Nora Young, and now I'm going to be on her program!

The story I'm doing is about the use of the internet in the North - and how it differs from the south. You may remember I wrote an entry about this back at the end of September. Well that response turned into them asking me to go on their show, do a little chat with Nora and a short documentary.

Just let me say how thrilled (but also scared and nervous) I am to be doing this story. But I need some help. I know useage is a bit different in Iqaluit (thanks TB) but I don't know anything about the other communities - or territories for that matter.

So here's the deal.

I'm looking for a couple different things.

First, if you live in the north (specifically Nunavut), and are interested in being in a fun little documentary about internet usage (subjects include banking, shopping, blogging and whatever else you do "differently" from the south) please let me know. I'm especially interested in talking to a fellow blogger (I can't talk about myself ALL the time) and someone who lives in a community where there isn't a physical BANK (Cape Dorset? Arctic Bay?). Most likely (unless you live in Rankin) it will be an interview over the phone. Pretty relaxed, just a chat about what you do and how you do it. I'm nice.

Second, if you live in the NWT or Yukon, and can shed some light as to how internet works there (is it satellite? Is it through the phone line? Cable? How fast is it? How does it compare to "down south" how much does it cost?) I'd really appreciate that too.

I know most people aren't used to being interviewed but I'd really appreciate it if you'd even just consider helping me out with this. It's a huge opportunity for me, and a chance for the North to get heard about something that's not snow or polar bears (or seals).

Thank you so much (in advance)
Jackie

10 comments:

Kate Nova October 23, 2008 at 1:47 PM  

Can you talk about how everyone has a bebo account up here? Cause I think that is funnnnny.

towniebastard October 23, 2008 at 2:03 PM  

I'm used to yammering on at length at the CBC. If you want me to talk about something, I have no problems with it.

And I don't have a Bebo account. Am I missing anything?

And Kate, how do you not have a facebook account?

Rob, Tina and the boys October 23, 2008 at 2:05 PM  

Hea there. Even though I'm not in NWT anymore I can certainly share my experience of being in Rae with satellite internet, horrors of shipping to a house that has no number on a street with no name and no bank in sight. :)

Megan October 23, 2008 at 2:13 PM  

If you want something from Yellowknife, I'm happy to help. E-mail me (dryas at theedge dot ca) and we can set something up.

Jackie S. Quire October 23, 2008 at 2:23 PM  

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

You guys are amazing. I have been stressing about this all day, and I'm so appreciative for the support!

KN: Actually, thanks to your influence (when you were here) I had already added the BEBO phenomenon to my discussion list.

And TB, Tina, Megan - thanks so much. I will let you know when I have a more firm plan. You guys rock!

jen October 23, 2008 at 2:30 PM  

k, ask away, I'm your in Nunavut, without bank, internet user.

Anonymous October 23, 2008 at 4:01 PM  

If you are stuck you can use me Jackie. About the only thing I might be able to contribute that's different from the others is that I was here for dial-up.

Kennie October 23, 2008 at 5:09 PM  

Jackie - I am so in if you need an experiment subject ...er volunteer :-)

Townie ... bebo is like the myspace of the UK ... pretty much everyone in the UK and Nunavut has a bebo account -- very graphical and user friendly (ie: not a lot of text like facebook) -- but takes FOREVER to load up here in AB (drives my media students nuts that it takes so long for their bebo account to load - i tell them to tone down on all of the extra gadgets for a quicker load).

Kate Nova October 23, 2008 at 6:45 PM  

Haha, I don't have Bebo either myself, I am just obsessed with it. And I refuse to get Facebook, as I've gone so far without it.

Jackie, Chris is in Rankin with treats for you!!!! From le Northmart. Find him if you can.

And I ran into your honey for a nanosecond at the bar. I think he misses you! You should have come here too. I mean, if there wasn't that pesky election coverage thing on the go I guess.

Living in Cape Dorset October 25, 2008 at 5:30 PM  

I would be happy to help you out

Blake