10/2/08

Friends in Far Places

This post by Darcy had me thinking. And instead of hog all the space in his comments section, I decided to post my response here.

I was telling coworkers "I have friends in Cape Dorset" today... I don't remember what we were talking about.

And they were shocked - as they always are, when I say I know people. They asked how I knew these people. And I was like Uhh erm... through friends.

(How do you explain blogging connections to people who don't get it)

Their response was "have you ever met them" and I was like uh NO. But I know them. I really do!

Their response was "I guess our definition of friends is different"

Now to be fair, I was using the term "friends" very loosely. I don't consult with the people I know in Cape Dorset on important decisions in my life. But I know things about their lives, and they know things about my life... because we read each others blogs and comment on their lives.

But when you think about it too hard, it's a very strange situation. Kind of akin to a penpal. And just how do you explain it to people who don't participate.

Hmm.

3 comments:

Rob, Tina and the boys October 2, 2008 at 2:30 PM  

I know exactly how you feel. I talk about all of you guys in "the real world" and people just don't get it.

Anonymous October 2, 2008 at 4:10 PM  

Like you I frequently refer to many people I know only through blogging as friends.

I don't know if my definition of friendship is that different than it was B.B. (Before Blogging). I carry on conversations with them, argue, chide, admire, and brag about. With several people this conversation extends beyond our blogs, to email, Facebook, and what not. There are on line friends who I do ask advice of.

I think rather than "friend" my new definition is for "conversation"

Matthew & Michele October 3, 2008 at 10:46 AM  

LOL.

Which friends in Cape Dorset?

Jen of Nunavut
Living in Cape Dorset
The M&M of Cape Dorset

Ahhh. It don't matter anyway. We are just one big happy Nunavut family. We tell folks south we have friends all over the north.