10/8/08

Shed some light

There have been a number of random sexual assaults in Iqaluit lately. And city council is being encouraged to do something about it.

A local man is/will be circulating a petition to council to deal with the issue.

That, combined with all the time I've spent listening to sexual assault cases at Rankin's court circuit this week have left me more aware than usual of certain things.

Like street lights.

Now, during the summer, this is a non-issue. You can walk around outside at any time of day and it's at least dusk-y. Last night, I left the house at about 7:30 and it was pitch black out. Amazing how fast our hours of daylight change. But as I looked down the street I was really amazed at how dim and how few and far between our street lights are.

This is a petition for the business park to upgrade their security cameras, as well as install two flood lights in the parking lot and I know what you're thinking; won't that just shed more light on the penises but that is a risk we have to take. - Dwight Shrute, The Office.
As I was writing this post, that passage "won't that just shed more light on the penises" kept running though my head. Dwight IS a source of infinite wisdom.

But seriously. In a place where half the year is spent in darkness.... adequate streetlights should be an automatic thing. IMHO.

3 comments:

Mongoose October 8, 2008 at 4:18 PM  

I wonder how much it would cost to upgrade from ugly sodium vapour lamps to "daylight" lamps, the kind they use for people with SAD. And if it would make life noticeably better.

Anonymous October 8, 2008 at 8:21 PM  

Lights AND CAMERAS.

Never thought I'd say that.

J

Megan October 9, 2008 at 10:36 PM  

I am going to try not to rant.

This problem will never go away as long as we as a society act like it is OK to blame victims and treat women and children as property. I have been living in the north for eight years, and it has only been getting worse.