12/9/08

HOW much??

Reader asks: I can't believe you spent so much money!

Yah, I know. Three hundred and fifty bucks is a lot of moolah... but up here? Well, it sounds quite reasonable.

First: The mitts. I'll have to take a picture of them some time. But they cost me a hundred dollars. Now, when you think about it without REALLY thinking about it, that seems disgusting. I would NEVER spend that much money on mitts if I were down south. Probably because the mitts that I'd be buying would be store-bought, not home made. And these are really well made - double seamed in the same way they make kamiks. My coworker, Betty, says they probably should have been sold for $150, rather than a hundred. So I think I got a good deal. Also, I only buy one pair of mitts a year. And hold on to them for dear life. I'll wear these every single time I leave the house for the next 6 months. Not many articles of clothing you can say THAT about.

Second: The fabric. Well, it was on sale. 30% off. I don't think I could have done better than that. I even went to the Co-op today (they were having a 20% off fabric sale) and I didn't see any nicer colours, or better prices, so I'm satisfied I got a good price. I would have spent less if I bought it down south, but it's hard to explain what kind of fabric you need to someone who doesn't know what you are talking about.

Third: The drawing. Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I am STILL thrilled with my piece. And I don't care that I spent 70 bucks on a drawing. I'm going to frame it, and keep it forever, and it's totally one-of-a-kind. I'm smitten.

So yah, it was a lot of money. But that's the story of life in the north. You buy things. You often spend more money than you 'should' but as long as you are happy, it doesn't really matter... right?

Here's hoping.

4 comments:

Meandering Michael December 9, 2008 at 11:09 AM  

You won't regret the mitts, thats' for sure.

towniebastard December 9, 2008 at 1:27 PM  

We live up here, for the most part we are compensated very well for living up here and we should all get the chance to treat ourselves to nice things that can help make a long, cold winter's night more tolerable.

I mean, we spent a simply silly amount of money on that Cape Dorset print, far more than the $75 you dropped on your quite nice Sedna. But once we get that print framed and put up on the wall, it's going to give countless hours of delight. And how do you put a price on things like that?

There's a difference between treating yourself to things that make your life better and being reckless with money. It's often hard to see that living down south looking up here, I think.

Kennie December 9, 2008 at 7:59 PM  

Well said Townie!

I "dropped" 70$ on a really nice pair of knitted mitts (that went up to my elbows - and fit over top of my parka sleeves) that were lined with this really thick layer of extremely soft and warm fleece material. They are the greatest things! Keept my hands warmer than any store bought mittens ever did.

Jackie S. Quire December 11, 2008 at 12:15 PM  

Well put, TB. I just framed and hung my Sedna last night, and I smile every time I pass it. Well worth the money.