12/5/08

Save me from the furry things!

It's official.

The animals are out to get me.

Okay Mom. Here's where you stop reading the blog.

Okay. No. You can read the next two sentences or so which state NO I HAVE NOT GOTTEN ANOTHER DOG.

Instead I am pet-sitting.

(Okay, I think she's gone now)





Okay, everyone else, I am typing the following with in good faith that you all will not contact my mother to tell her that I have been pet-sitting Jeff's cat since he left... and she's still here.

Not that I'd be surprised if she knew, because the stupid feline keeps meowing any time I'm on the phone with Mom.

Anyways. So Puppy and Kitty have been co-existing for the past month+ (really? That long? Wow.) For the first two-ish weeks I hardly saw her. She never came out before 9-ish and even then just to eat and then go hide again. Which was great for me. I'm actually (normally) deathly allergic to cats (this is why mother can NEVER KNOW). But for some reason, I have either grown out of it, or I've met 2 cats now that I'm not actually allergic to.

So all was quiet for the first couple weeks. But now puppy and kitty are friends. It took awhile, but it's happened. And it's as an unlikely... and unfortuneate partnership as they come. Why? Because Kitty is EVIL.

Case #1.)
When? Constantly, but mostly the second/third week of pet sitting
Where? The puppy's area
Why? Who the hell knows
What? Kitty jumps over into Puppy's area. He gets excited. Comes over to investigate. Kitty is not impressed. Kitty hisses. Puppy trots away to the bed I made FOR HIM. Kitty decides to be evil. When Puppy gets up to check out Ball (which has been there on the ground, across the room for YEARS, but he only finds interesting SOMETIMES), Kitty springs into action. She streaks across the laundry room/pen and plunks herself down ON PUPPY'S BED. Then when Puppy comes back to his bed, she hisses at him.

That's right. She ENTERS HIS AREA. She HISSES at him. She SLEEPS IN HIS BED. And then HISSES AT HIM EVEN MORE.

Case #2.)
When? Last week (we're now probably in week 5 of pet-sitting)
Where? Puppy's pen, again
Why? Because Kitty's EVIL, possibly hungry, but DEFINITELY very sneaky
What? Kitty jumps into pen. Says "hi" to Puppy (They sniff and 'wreasle' with each other). Looks in Puppy's food bowl. Sees no food (no surprise, Puppy eats food VERY fast, it's like a hot-dog-eating-contest but with kibble). PRIES OPEN CUPBOARD WHERE I KEEP PUPPY'S DRY FOOD. TEARS OPEN BAG. And proceeds to feed herself AND puppy a late-night snack.

I could have sworn when I caught them the second time (yes, this happens often) that I saw her PICK UP a piece of dog food with her paw and FEED IT to puppy. But maybe I was hallucinating. That's pretty freakin' weird.

Yes, this cat likes dog food. I thought cat's were supposed to be PICKY EATERS?

Case #3.)
When? Wednesday night
Where? Puppy's pen (see a pattern?)
Why? Because Kitty is feeling restless (and because I didn't feed her immediately - - my bad).
What? Again with the food. Kitty jumps into Puppy's pen. Spies the half-empty can of dog food that I forgot to put back in the fridge. KNOCKS the can off the counter with such ENTHUSIASM that she actually DENTS it.

Yah.

And all night, the cat's been tearing around the house like Tom Cruise in Risky Business... and I keep hearing noises that sound eerily like pop cans being opened, and carbon dioxide escaping. So enough blogging, I have to go take care of the zoo.

But first, a photo:

7 comments:

Anonymous December 5, 2008 at 9:31 AM  

Too cute. I would be careful with kitty eating puppy's food. I had the same problem when I was "boarding" my sister's zoo. Puppy food can be hard on kitty's belly. And like I've always said, cats are evil. :)

Anonymous December 5, 2008 at 9:32 AM  

So mother did read it. Ever make the link between kitty sitting and your health issue!!!!!!!! Dah

Idealistic Pragmatist December 5, 2008 at 9:39 AM  

Wow, you are so, so lucky that those two get along! Very cute picture.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan December 5, 2008 at 9:49 AM  

awwwwww!! So you going to keep kitty for good?

Jackie S. Quire December 5, 2008 at 10:11 AM  

Tina: Yah, I try to make sure she doesn't get into it, but it's HARD sometimes. She's like a ninja. If there's food anywhere in the house - even if it's protected by a layer of plastic wrap - she'll find it, kill it, and eat it. No sweat.

Kara: Nah, don't think so. Hope not. I'm not really interested in having a cat...but it's nice to know that kitty and puppy get along!

jen December 5, 2008 at 10:46 AM  

OK first of all that's a sweet Bengal! Maui and Norm are both Bengals, so I a)understand the eating the dog food and b) running around the house after hours like a pack of elephants. And talk about NINJA every time I open a freakin can of Tuna Norman shows up behind me...they eat a lot of things though and the only issue seems to be stinky after thoughts if you know what I mean lol.
Our kitties will even chase Tallinn and you know how big he is! It took Norm a good couple of months to stop hissing and bitch slapping Tallinn, so it's actually awesome to see your two are getting along.

Jackie S. Quire December 5, 2008 at 10:57 AM  

I THOUGHT your new kitty was a bengal. They are batshit crazy, but beautiful animals eh?

But you are right, they get into EVERYTHING. Penny will puke/hairball from time to time, but like you said besides being a mega stinky shitter, seems to not disagree with her too badly.

She still swats at him a bit, but it's only because Sully doesn't know how to chill. He's very "oo! something fun! Must check out! can I roll on top of you? please? please? *squish* meeeeeeeeeeowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww