12/7/08

Success!

Things that rock about today:

1.) I went to the Christmas craft fair at the arena and finally
replaced my "lubsta" mitts from last year*. Some people have several
pairs of mitts and rotate. Me? I buy one pair per season (home made
pair, that is) and wear the shit out of them all winter long.

2.) I am eating a samosa. Yes, that's right, a samosa. I think I can
now settle down in Rankin because if I can get samosa's here I can be
truly happy. You think I'm kidding but I'm not. I'm actually |------|
close to getting teary eyed about it, because it reminds me of the
farmer's market back home, and how that's one of the things I've said
is an almost-dealbreaker here (the lack of
farmers-market-like-things). And the guy that sold it to me said he's
going to be taking orders to make more batches. I am so thrilled, you
can't even imagine. See? This is what happens when I eat yummie food.
I get all emotional. Yeesh.

3.) I'm having a parka made JUST FOR ME! I've been thinking about it
for awhile now, and have been asking around when I see a parka I like,
who has made it... and have settled on my co-worker, Betty, to make
mine. She makes really nice decorative parkas, and I loooove the one
she made another co-worker of ours. And I've been thinking about it,
and I really just want one that I can wear down south, and have as a
memory of my time up here. I don't need a hunting parka, or an out on
the land parka. I have a system that works so well I was WARM today
even though it was -30 and I was on my snowmobile. So there was a sale
on at one of the stores this weekend, 30% off all fabric... and I
bought my fabric and liner. I'm really, honestly, very excited about
this. It will be baby blue with a white liner and I don't know what
kind of trim yet. But it will be beautiful. I know it.

4.) I am making my dad's home made mac n' cheese for me and the boy
tonite. It doesn't seem like I've seen him much since he got back 2
weeks ago... and I've basically given this dairy-free thing the giant
EFF YOU, so I'm celebrating by eating pizza all weekend, topped off
with the cheeziest, creamiest, tastiest dinner ever. Can't wait.
(Though what that means for what else could be making me sick, I have
no clue).

5.) I bought a GORGEOUS drawing today, at the craft fair. I think I've
said this before, but I'm reallllllly picky about art. Not just inuit
art, but all art. I enjoy photography, but most paintings etc don't do
anything for me (the one exception being Dali). But I bought this
absolutely beautiful Inuk-mermaid drawing this afternoon, and I'm
having the girl do another one for me too. I'm thrilled. It's without
a doubt my favourite piece of northern art to date. *HAPPY*

So today is a good day. I ended up spending about 350 bucks on the
mitts, the samosas (I stocked up - - who KNOWS when I'll have them
again FOR SURE), the fabric and liner and the amazing drawing. A
pretty successful day, IMHO.

*For those who don't remember, my lubsta claw mittens were bright
orange pleather with beaver fur, and looked really funny... like
lobster claws. Fitting for this island girl, and a running joke.

4 comments:

Anonymous December 7, 2008 at 4:41 PM  

What is a samosa?

Jackie S. Quire December 7, 2008 at 4:58 PM  

Oops! Sorry Tina!

According to Wikipedia (and me, editing...)

A samosa, a stuffed pastry, is a common snack in South Asia and also in Central Asia and the Middle East. It generally consists of a fried triangular-shaped pastry shell with a savory filling of spiced potatoes, onion, peas, coriander, and sometimes fresh paneer.

Sometimes they have meat in them, and they are just DIVINE.

Matthew & Michele December 8, 2008 at 2:25 PM  

I too miss the samosa's. I was even in Frederiction and didn't make it over to the farmers market to grave a few dozen.

I do miss them. I don't miss the next day affects from the spicy meat.

LOL.

Matthew & Michele December 8, 2008 at 2:26 PM  

That should have said "....grab a few dozen."

My spelling didn't get any better over the holidays.