2/26/09

Brr, my veins

Nothing chills my blood like the words "consolidating local stations"

According to Mr. Lacroix, if CBC fails to meet their multi-million dollar shortfall... the options to deal with that include:

  • Introducing more American programming into television schedules (currently 100 per cent Canadian from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.)
  • Downgrading or selling parts or the whole of TV or radio services.
  • Increasing advertising on the air.
  • Shrinking geographic coverage of the country by consolidating local stations, which would reverse the current investment CBC is making in building regional coverage.
Ugragh. I don't like that ONE BIT. I don't like it on buttered toast, I do not like it with a roast (detect a theme today, folks?)

I wonder if severence packages include moving down south costs? I hear KIA is looking for a communications person, and all they need is a high school diploma. I'd be a shoo-in....


In other, much more humorous news, I am now Scott Feschuk's new biggest fan. He does witty commentary and whatnot for Macleans which at times could possibly go down as the world's DRY-est magazine (I used to subscribe, but stopped reading because I was perpetually bored).

Here's his "Seven habits of highly not fired yet people". If you like kinda snarky, very witty, somewhat pop-culture-y writing WHY ARE YOU LEAVING THIS BLOG! YOU GET ALL THAT HERE! No, I lie :P Check out HIS blog here, and that article above. I definitely got a chuckle or two.

3 comments:

Anonymous February 27, 2009 at 5:07 AM  

Jackie
Having been through a thousand cuts and reorganizations in the government,I have to say the best personal strategy is to ignore the preamble stuff (talks of what they might do, may never happen) but be familiar with what the employer must do (ie read your workforce adjustment stuff) It's important to put the choices in your hands not the employers.

Mom

KOTN February 27, 2009 at 9:00 AM  

Feschuk is a moron, and so is his brother who covers the Raptors.

Consolidation sucks.

Jackie S. Quire February 27, 2009 at 9:20 AM  

WHOA! KOTN! The venom! I can taste it!

Admittedly, I don't know much about Feschuk, but I liked his article, and his Obama/House parody on his blog.

Why you hatin'?

And thanks for the tips mom :)