2/26/09

Complain-y bits

  • Thanks to Amy's shoutout on her blog... I was so excited to try out last.fm... but like EVERY FREAKING OTHER THING UP HERE IT DOESN'T WORK. Seriously. All I wanted to do was listen to some tunes while I wait for phone calls, or type up scripts. That's all. Not a big deal. But the only thing worse than a skipping CD is a track that won't buffer correctly, stalling every 5 seconds. Graaaah!
  • I wish I knew if it was my crappy work computer (9.5 gig hard drive 260kb RAM running Windows 2000 and resource-heavy applications necessary for producing news) or our crappy internet that's preventing me from listening to last.fm. I think it's probably both, being as I can't even listen to a CD without skipping-delays from using too much of the thing's resources. Ug.
  • I'm a little teensy bit concerned about the trouble I've caused about this curling drama. I know I have to hold firm, that I didn't do anything wrong, that we were being pushed around... but I don't actually LIKE to be confrontational. I don't WANT the rec coordinator to get in trouble, I just want our league to be able to play, and maybe just have a bit of respect too
  • Good ole Hubie is making a speech to the Empire Club this afternoon. Every other media organization in the country has made cuts. I've done a good job of completely ignoring everything that's been going on with the "southern economy" to date... but I'll admit I do get a little nervous when I think about restructuring and whatnot. While I can't go into what he'll be speaking about (he's sent a internal copy of his speaking notes to employees) I do find the comparison about how much Canadians spend annually for the CBC through public funding vs. how much Canadians spend annually for commercial television pretty interesting. If the speech/elements get reproduced on Insidethecbc I will post them, but not before. They are my guide re: publishable internal stuff.
  • I am wheat-free for the next two weeks. And I'm not exactly looking forward to it... mostly because it leaves little or nothing for me to eat for breakfast. Except... maybe eggs. But eggs taste like eggs. You can't really change them that much. So endless eggs doesn't really sound all that appealing to me. But we'll see. At least I don't have to eliminate potatoes. That is a VERY good thing. :)
  • None of my stories ideas have been panning out this week. It's very frustrating not just for me, but for my Iqaluit colleagues. Sometimes I just have too much to do, and not enough time (last week, for example... and the week before in Coral Harbour)... and others it's like I am soooo painfully without sources that it's just not funny. Maybe I'll try calling the mayor of Chester for the 78th time this week. At what point does playing persistent journalist just become "eff off and stop calling me"?

4 comments:

Anonymous February 26, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

We cut gluten out of our diets while we were in Inuvik, and we still eat that way. (OK, to be fair, Steve is the one who can't have gluten. I still love sandwiches.)

It's totally possible to do it in a small northern town. We eat a lot of rice. It's not bad, especially when you think of all the different sorts of casseroles you can make. Plus, Kinnickinnick in Edmonton will ship stuff to the north.

Jackie S. Quire February 26, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

Cool! I'd never heard of them before.

Honestly I don't *think* I've got a gluten allergy... but we're trying everything. So why not.

If I did though, I think I'd miss real hamburgers somethin' awful...(I'm talking Mickey D's here) and probably pasta too. I'm not a real sandwich girl, but I like a good slice of home-made bread from time to time.

But that's a ways off still haha.

It looks like Kinnickinnick has come a long way since I was in jr. high (my first boyfriend had siliac and he always had the WORST bread and cookie substitutes haha).

Anonymous February 26, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

Last.fm is the greatest invention since gluten-free sliced bread! I hope you find a way to work it out for you WAY up there... :)

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan February 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM  

Okay, I went to the last.fm site, but I am confused. What is it exactly???