2/3/09

Office space-outs

Things you would never hear in an office down south:

Co-worker: "Excuse me. *small burp* Excuse me. *small burp* (looks at me) I'm hicking-up. I'm hicking-up!"
JS: "You mean hick-upping?"
CW: "Yes, I'm hicking-up" (In broken English). Oh, hick-up! I'm hick-up-ing!

*phone rings*

JS: Good afternoon, CBC.
Woman Caller: Is (coworker) there?
JS: No, sorry, she's busy right now. Would you like her voice mail?
WC: Can you leave her a message?
JS: (ultra-cheery voice!) Of course (most of the time people just hang up on me)
WC: Can you tell her to get her son to stop bothering me? (His name). Her son. He's bugging me. Can you ask her to tell him to stop?
JS: (somewhat speechless) You sure you don't want to leave a message on her answering machine. (Fearing this was something personal I shouldn't really know...)
WC: I have four kids. And they are little. He's half-drunk. Can you ask her to get him to stop bugging me? He's bugging me.Just tell her. Bye.
JS: (Stares at receiver. Writes awkward message on sticky note for co-worker. Wonders about this place sometimes.)


4 comments:

Mongoose February 3, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

LOL I wouldn't worry about privacy on that second one. Sounds like pretty standard Northern behaviour. :)

Jackie S. Quire February 3, 2009 at 8:45 PM  

LOL, true. But I love and respect this woman, and wouldn't want to hurt her or her family by saying their real names :)

Mongoose February 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

Oh yeah, I'm not suggesting you put their names on the blog... Just as far as you knowing something you shouldn't know about the family... I wouldn't worry too much about that one. Probably everyone who knows her knows about her drunk son.

Jackie S. Quire February 4, 2009 at 1:22 PM  

Oops! Misunderstood. Agreed though.