3/18/09

Age of Confusion

I've been finding it increasingly difficult to focus as of late.

Probably because my efforts to be zen about how various economic stability issues right now are being thwarted at every pass.

When the first "getting through tough times" letter came around months ago, I vowed I wouldn't be one of those people who freak out about what COULD happen. I'd focus instead at the task at hand, and take everything in stride.

What else could I do, really.

But then ... well I was thrown off guard yesterday. And I blame Megan. While I was pleased to hear her chipper little voice on the other end of the phone line... I was NOT excited to hear the reason for her call.

A friend had heard the hosts in Victoria, BC joking about dusting off their resumes, because job cuts were on the way.

And, the Winnipeg Sun ran this story

My favourite part:

In a wide-ranging interview with Sun Media, Heritage Minister James Moore also said CBC layoffs were nearly certain and expected 600 to 1,200 people across the country would lose their jobs.
*Gulp.

Now since then, there's been even more coverage on this. No confirmation from the MotherCorp. But a somewhat ominous statement that:
No further details were available about the size of the cutbacks, although the public broadcaster said it would make an announcement to staff by the end of the month.
End of the month.

END OF THE MONTH???

What does that even MEAN? Does that mean decisions will be MADE by then? Does that mean that's when the cuts will be officially announced? Eeek!

I remember a month or so ago, we had a North-wide conference call about the status of things... and one person sounded right panic-ed about not really knowing what's going on, and how really, she said we had the right to know. These are our lives they are talking about.

At the time I remember shaking my head and thinking "dude, rellllaaaaxxx." But now I'm her. Now I'm thinking maybe it would have been a good idea to have dusted off that resume a couple months ago.

So now I can't concentrate. While I had more or less planned to move onwards and upwards in the next year or so... I expected to be able to do it on my own timing. Maybe I should have been less CBC-exclusive in my glances at the southern job market.

But then again. Maybe all this sweaty hands and pent-up-nervous energy is the cup of coffee I just downed. Who knows.

All I know, is that I seem to have entered the Age of Confusion. And it's not a short era.

3 comments:

Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 12:20 PM  

It's all terrible. There are fewer and fewer jobs outside the MotherCorp, too.

I don't blame people for being upset. Cutbacks are terrible. I'm sick at the thought of cuts to my beloved national broadcaster.

Your managers must know SOMETHING. Maybe they don't know the details -- maybe nobody knows the details. But at the very least, they must have a general sense of the approach the Corp is taking to deal with the shortfall.

KOTN March 18, 2009 at 1:09 PM  

Really want to scare yourself shitless, look at a few of the journalism job boards out there.

Canwest and CTV have nothing on air, CBC is down to backup workers, and Jeff Gaulin has nothing in his featured box.

We were promised no layoffs back in December, and that is still teh company line.... but you guys have many people here in Nunavut, we have me and the other guy, little harder to cut.

but I don't think I'll get to fly to Winnipeg for the annual meeting this year.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan March 18, 2009 at 10:47 PM  

Time to head back to school and become a nurse!! Lots of work for them and great pay. I know this because I sponge off of my husband! hehehe