3/3/09

Airline ultimatums

Dear people charged with issuing news releases.

If it is a GOOD news story, and you are making an ANNOUNCEMENT, it makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE to do it at 3pm or later. I can understand if you are trying to bury a bad-news story. Sure, go ahead and send it out at 4:59pm on a Friday. I don't care. Yes it's shady, but at least it's NORMAL.

But if you are announcing, oh, I don't know, new flights to a community... I'd highly advise doing so in the morning, or at least BEFORE lunch so reporters can have the time to put the story together for next day's news. Otherwise it's going to have to wait another day.

Seriously. This is the last time "name of airline withheld." I have a headache and I blame you.

You have 48 hours (they always finish these things with an ultimatum)

Sincerely, Jackie S. Quire.

PS, for some strange reason my feet smell. My feet never smell. Go figure.

3 comments:

Megan March 3, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

I'm guessing -- this is just a guess -- that they don't really care which day it hits the news. They may be thinking about the papers' deadlines, but I bet it doesn't even occur to them that they could influence the date CBC covers the story.

Jimi Onalik March 4, 2009 at 3:05 PM  

Wow. I hadn't really thought about that.

So, if they had been waiting for a further unidentified partner airline's consent and it didn't arrive until 2, they should wait till the next morning? :)

I apologise and I promise to be more prompt with my email checking in the future.

Jimi O

Jackie S. Quire March 4, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

Haha, I'd totally forgotten you pop in here from time to time, Jimi!

From a strictly selfish perspective... yes. Now, it really wasn't THAT much of a problem yesterday, because both airlines in question had spokespeople who responded within 30 minutes of my initial calls... I had to stay about an hour and a half later than normal to pull it all together, but really not THAT big of a deal. I was just playing complainey journalist :)

But you wouldn't believe how many times people have made "good news" announcements in the late afternoon and then either the spokesperson takes off for the day or is traveling that week etc etc.

And Megan, you are probably right. Though one of the two airlines is based (head office etc.) in the south, so you would think maybe they'd be used to a daily news schedule.