3/2/09

Whiling away a Monday evening.

Dear Akulliq:

Please please please let this be your final by-election. For the sanity of all those involved, including the media and Elections Nunavut, please just make a decision. Okay? Okay. Thanks.

I'm working a late shift again tonite. Which suits me just fine, as I think I've said before. I kind of enjoy having the office to myself. I've got all the phone-intercoms OFF (I heart CBC but sometimes the 8/5 of the intercom phones just wears thin on me) and I hijacked my co-worker's CD player and am currently working my way through some of the music that's in our library. There's not much there, but I managed to pilfer some "new releases" about six months ago, so at least I'm not stuck with Dance Mix 93 - which while hilarious... isn't really what I'm in the mood for.

So far I've made it through...

Death Cab for Cutie: Narrow Stairs (three times!!!)
The Fugitives: In Streetlight Communion
Ben Sures: Field Guide to Loneliness

I wasn't a big fan of Streetlight Communion. But I've been pleasantly surprised by Field Guide to Loneliness. It's a little more folksie than my usual taste, but I could get into it.

But I'm more than frustrated that I somehow managed to forget my book at home. I've been picking away at Outlander by Diane Gabaldon since I left for Coral Harbour. I actually spent all of Saturday curled up in my basket chair, coffee in hand, puppy in lap, reading. It was glorious. It's been so long since I've done that.

I have to admit, it took me awhile to get into... but I think I'll continue on with the series. I'd heard of the series years ago. One of the condiments, Robyn, was all over them. A friend I lived with in France was also hooked. But it wasn't until I was in the UK with my Nanny and sister last August that I picked it up.

And the really interesting part (I think) is that a good part of what I like about the book is that I've BEEN there. I've driven through the Highlands. I've BEEN to Stonehenge. And it's pretty darn cool to read about a place that is so very far and foreign and have memories of times there. Granted the book largely takes place in the 1700s or something like that... so its not like I've been there in that TIME but still kind of neat to have that reference point.

Oh, and I think I have a crush on the lead male character. But then I think most chicks who read the series end up with a little thing for Jamie. :D

So I'm here without a book to read, my websites are exhausted (dudes, get to blogging more, I've read all your posts already and still need more to do!) and I even filed my taxes. Yes. I'm so bored I filed my taxes just to have something to do.

On that note, I don't know what y'all use to do your taxes, but I used Quicktax... and I was pretty impressed how little time it took, and how straighforward it was. And this is coming from a girl whose mom did her taxes up until last year. Granted there were a couple "ummm what does this mean" phone calls ... but for 15 bucks... totally worth it. And now I should have a nice little cheque making its way to me in the next couple weeks. I take back all the nasty things I've said about the CRA (actually I think the only nasty thing I said was that I thought it was dumb they didn't just take the right amount of taxes off in the first place, instead of all this paperwork). Netfile rocks. And so does Quicktax.

Now where's that endorsement money?

2 comments:

Megan March 2, 2009 at 10:23 PM  

Sorry, I forgot to flame you.

IT SURE SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU ARE BLOGGING AT WORK. AND I AM PRETTY SURE THAT YOU WORK FOR A CROWN CORPORATION. THEREFORE, YOU ARE JUST BEING A TOTAL HYPOCRITE BY WRITING ABOUT TAXES. IT IS ACTUALLY *MY* TAXES THAT ARE AT STAKE HERE. HOW DARE YOU? LAZY GIRL SUCKLING FROM THE PUBLIC TEAT, AS USUAL. GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK.

Robyn March 3, 2009 at 1:12 PM  

Mmmm, Jamie.... he's totally my second-in-line for husband.

(First after Gilbert Blythe... of course.)

And I will have to look into this "field guide to loneliness"... if it's too folksy for you, it's probably just mellow enough for me :)