11/22/07

Blogging and journalism etiquette

I think I gave a fellow blogger a good scare this morning.

I was reading Lisa and Josée's blog yesterday afternoon, because I finished my story early and decided to catch up on some blogs I'd be neglecting ...

I have all my "favourites" bookmarked on my laptop, and I get home and open them all up in "tabs" when I get home from work...

But that means I don't do a whole lot of exploring for new blogs. And tend to forget to visit the new ones I find and they get lost in my various bookmark folders on my various computers.

ANYHOW, I found something she said to be really interesting, and I called her. We've never spoken before... I don't even know if I've posted on her blog yet... so I think I may have scared the crap out of her.

I guess sometimes we don't think about blogs being 100% public... and that people link off of other sites, other blogs, and read what you write. I didn't think of that initially when I started my blog, but once I "joined" the Northern blogging community, it became very apparent to me. Plus I get something like 90+ hits a day... and I doubt they are all friends of mine (it'd be great if I had that many friends though!)

Which brings me to something I've felt a bit conflicted with since starting my current job with CBC: balancing my "normal" life with my "work" life. Less in terms of workload and that sort of thing... but more like when I'm "on" and when I'm "off."

The thing with living up north... or any small community really... is that you have to look in different places for stories. Or rather, you rely more on yourself and what you hear people talking about... than swiping from other publications or press releases or whatever. If you did that... you'd never have anything to report. You have to keep your ear much closer to the ground.

And as a result, I feel like people become "wary" of what they say around me. And I hate that. So. For all those out there. These are the rules.

  1. If I call you, and identify myself as "Jackie S. from CBC" then I am calling about work. About my work, and there's something I want to talk to you about.
  2. If I see you, and I have a microphone in my hand, that means I am here about work. My work. And there's something I want to talk to you about.
  3. If we are just talking... that is off the record! Okay? I'm just a normal person. I'm not saying if you say something I find interesting I won't call you at some other point in time and ask you about it. But I never hide my microphone... that just doesn't work (bad sound quality!) and its not like I can "use" anything you say off the cuff in a conversation... I need the sound!

The end.

5 comments:

Idealistic Pragmatist November 22, 2007 at 1:38 PM  

Just delurking to declare that this particular stranger has been reading. I'm fascinated by the North, and I like the way you write about your life and the adjustments you have to make, both emotional and physical.

jen November 22, 2007 at 9:08 PM  

You know I kind of get that too now that my husband is a police officer, people are sort of less inclined to tell you stuff. I am just like hey I am just a regular chick, it's not like I am going to tell on you, like I am in grade 2.
But on the other hand how did you just call them up? Do you have some kind of magical phone book...don't say the yellow pages. Did they put a last name on their blog or something?

Jackie S. Quire November 22, 2007 at 9:10 PM  

Jen:

Well the post she made that interested me was about what she does for a living. So I just called and asked for her.

I spend a lot of time sorting through the phone book and asking for people at random spots... so magical phone book? you bet!

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan November 23, 2007 at 1:57 AM  

Well you and that little microphone of yours can come and interview me anytime! I would talk to you either way! oh. and bring your puppy too :)

Unknown November 25, 2007 at 2:53 PM  

Too funny! All quallunat feel their job puts them into unique circumstances when relating to others. Teachers, nurses, reporters, doctors, cops and stay at home moms. I've been up north for eight years now and I really just made that connection from your post and the others comments. Cool! Living in Kuujjuaq, as I do now, is the first time I felt any anonymity. I suspect quallunat in Iqaluit would probably feel the same due to the number of us non-Inuit residing in these unique places.