11/1/07

Piggy-back rides anyone?

I remember when I was a kid, and I was so anxious, or so excited about the next day.... I'd have troubles falling asleep.

Normally, this would fall on October 30th, or December 24th....or after a really scary dream (think head-shrinking sequence from the Super Mario Bros. movie...)

Then, my mom and dad told me to pick something that made me happy, and to picture myself doing that as I went to bed.

Well, I don't know if I ever actually pictured it, but that "thing" (or phrase, rather) became a piggy-back ride. More specifically the mantra "I'm going to go on a piggy-back ride." I would say it over and over and over again in my head, sometimes imagining my dad giving me a piggy-back... and that would ward off the "scary" thoughts...

And if it was that I was really excited about something, the mantra would change... and become "I'm going to go on a piggy-back ride... it's JUST a piggy-back ride"

Ok, now you are starting to understand why I am such a quirky adult.. I was definitely a warped kid.

Last night I had one of those "it's December 24th, and I'm JUST going on a piggy-back ride" moments. I had so much running through my head. Thinking about my puppy (ARRIVING TODAY!), what should I NAME the puppy (Buckley, Waldo, Sully) and analyzing my transportation possibilities (will I seriously consider buying a used SUV instead of my Honda?) and so on.

So I got minimal sleep, and am still revved up by the excitement of puppy arriving today, that it's going to be tricky to get through the day today. Nine hours till I pick him up!!!

5 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan November 1, 2007 at 9:46 AM  

Puppy? I thought puppy was a fake? Did you find a real one?

Jackie S. Quire November 1, 2007 at 10:12 AM  

You're right, that puppy was a fake.
But I bought one from the pet store in my home town... I figured I wanted a place I could trust... and one of my best friends went on the weekend with her sister to "meet" the puppies... and helped me pick out the one that is en route.
Feelin' much better about this one!
Also, the owner of the store is very... thorough. The way I think someone selling an animal should be. I had to sign a contract, and they grilled me on what I can and can't do when he arrives (ie, don't let him out of the crate till I'm in my house, because the airport is dirty)...
So yah. I'm excited, and feeling much more prepared and reassured.

jen November 1, 2007 at 11:01 AM  

I am so excited for you!! Does he have all his shots? You might want to get him fixed back home, instead of having the vet do it up here, at least that would be my feelings (fixing happens at 6months plus). I vote for Waldo, then you can nick-name him Wally. You should name him something that will shorten nicely. I call Tallinn, Tal or Tal Tal all the time. Sometimes I call him piranha breathe, even though it's not an abbreviation of his name at all. Can't wait to see pictures of the new pup!

Jackie S. Quire November 1, 2007 at 11:40 AM  

Jen:

He has all his shots, for his age (which, I believe is about 8 weeks).

I am having a harrrrd time with the naming thing. I'm attached to all three names all at once, for three very different reasons.

Buckley: because it is just too cute...

Waldo: because then I can say "where's waldo" and dress him up in a red and white striped shirt and round black glasses at halloween..

Sully: my grandmother who passed away a couple years ago had a bird that she named "sully" - short for Sullivan (which was her maiden name). So that one holds the most sentimental value for me.

But I've decided to make the choice when I meet him. See what HE likes haha.

SIX HOURS.

Jaime November 1, 2007 at 12:35 PM  

I blame your lack of sleep half on me! I never shut up, haha.

Jeff was like "You never came home last night!" and I was like "Yes I did...at midnight." Heh heh


Jaime