11/28/07

to buy or not to buy...

So I'm spending most of this week at the NTI annual general meeting (Nunavut Tunngavik Inc. for you "southern" folks) it appears to be much better organized than the KIA (Kivalliq Inuit Association) I was at a couple weeks ago...
But then that was regional, this is territorial.
I can imagine that makes a big difference.

Probably my favourite part of the conference/meeting is the unlimited amounts of fresh fruit available every morning, followed by veggies and dip in the afternoon... and the oft-visited "crafts table."

Local folks put their kamiks, parkas, original artwork, mitts, etc... on display for purchase for the delegates, and other folks attending the meeting (such as yours truly).

I bought a pair of mitts at the fall yard sale a couple weeks ago... but they weren't exactly what I was looking for. Originally I wanted some skin mitts... with maybe some fur on the cuffs. But there wasn't much for sale ... of the non-food variety... so I bought the only pair I could find that were for adults. They were bright orange (pleather!!) with beaver fur ruff. Not exactly what I was looking for, but I'm glad I bought them in the end because otherwise, my poor little hands would have frozen and fallen off ... as shortly thereafter, the temperature dropped to a steady -30.

So there's a pair of mitts here for sale, they are fur (really coarse, not soft... I have no idea what kind, I'll have to ask) for "just" 60 bucks (believe it or not, this is a steal... no one "down south" would dream of buying mitts for 60... seems like such a "waste" but then... I guess I wear my other mitts just about every day ... and they are much more difficult to lose (being BRIGHT ORANGE AND ALL) )

But the winter craft fair will be this Saturday, and so maybe I'll hold off, and finally buy the mitts I really want... but I have no idea if the craft fair will be ONLY CHRISTMAS stuff or not.

Meh, we shall see.

3 comments:

jen November 28, 2007 at 3:40 PM  

LOL just be aware that they make dog mitts up here.

Rob, Tina and the boys November 28, 2007 at 4:05 PM  

I'm SOOOOO jealous you guys have craft fairs there! *angry man fist* I REALLY REALLY REALLY want a ring. Grr. I'm alright now. Really. I'm done venting. Can't wait to see a picture of your Orange mitts!

Kennie November 28, 2007 at 8:08 PM  

Jen's not lying either.. they really do make dog mitts up here. And just as a piece of advice... if and when you buy the mitts ask if there is any special care instructions that should go with them. Up here, depending on who we buy our seal fur mitts from (and how the pelt was prepared) some of them have to be kept in a cool place (the freezer) so that the fur doesn't all fall out when not in use.