2/9/08

Being outed

So, it was going to happen eventually... and I had prepared myself for it...

But I've finally been "outed."

No, not in the way you are thinking... I mean blog-outed.

And I think I'm being a bit unfair, I more "outed" myself.... but I'll back up.

As many of you know, there's been some ... tension... here in the north about people blogging about certain things, and employers taking action. So needless to say, that's been in the back of my mind for awhile... and I more or less keep this a personal blog. Sometimes I write about how I feel drained, tired, exhilarated... and sometimes that involves references to my work...

Anyways. I was called for an interview the other day, by News North, about my Nunie award. So I had to give my producer a call in Iqaluit. I think a bunch of my coworkers over there already knew I had a blog... when I was first nominated... but I didn't really tell my boss. I wasn't hiding it, but I wasn't advertising it either.

Anyways, so my employer now knows. And I'm like 98% okay with that. I don't really write anything all that controversial... or even that interesting (yet... y'all still read it... why is beyond me....)

So yah, I'm "outed"

But not like it really makes that much of a difference. :D

4 comments:

Megan February 9, 2008 at 3:30 PM  

Funny how something like that can make you feel.

I dropped it casually in conversation fairly early on, and I'm friends with a number of co-workers who also read my blog. I didn't want it to take anyone by surprise, especially since it is no big deal to me.

I'm fortunate enough to work for people who understand that a personal blog is a personal blog, not something written for an employer. Others aren't nearly as lucky. I think CBC will eventually come around, but it might take longer than most of us would hope. It looks like they're about halfway there.

Your blog rocks.

Anonymous February 9, 2008 at 6:52 PM  

For the most part I've found that GN employess who keep a blog have had to be particularly careful with what they say. A couple months back I got a heads-up from another blogger that my blog turned up on the GN's media monitor.

I haven't had too many issues to date though I've done a few controversial posts. Fortunately I haven't drawn the ire of any higher-ups to date. For the most part I figure its a combination of thinking I get more traffic than I actually do coupled wth the fact that after living here 5 years I really don't care if the GN goes on a headhunting expedition for me.

Generally speaking, though I do try not to be overly inflammatory with my posts. Here's hoping your employer is indeed more enlightened than mine.

Megan February 9, 2008 at 8:57 PM  

Turning up on the media monitor shouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, unless I'm missing something about the way the GN does monitoring. It probably just means that you said something that was considered noteworthy, not that you're in any sort of trouble. It's actually a good sign that they're taking blogs seriously as a reflection of popular opinion.

Now, bear in mind that I don't know anything about the way the GN does monitoring, so I could be wrong.

Anonymous February 14, 2008 at 6:57 PM  

hmm, one nominee for a nunie, calling up a nunie winner for an interview ??

;)

congrats on surviving your 'outing'. i think the previous incidents of adverse blogging consequences up here occurred when there was much less awareness of the format. if it happened today, i don't think there would be the same over-reaction (GN excepted, of course). also, based on http://www.assortednonsense.com/ the mother corp is easing off a bit as well.

as for the GN media monitor, most of it is just economic development stuff with a bit of social issue spicing on top. if a blog makes it there, it's usually a slow news day. that said, if my blog ever hit the monitor, i'd probably resign :(