2/13/08

Inuit Statistical Profile

I was browsing ITK's website today (Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami... aka the organization that represents Inuit across Canada)... and came across this "neat" staple foods comparison chart.

Keep in mind, this data is about 5 years old. And the prices in Clyde River may be different now... and I'm not sure EXACTLY how they compare to Rankin's. But that looks pretty close, if not a bit "cheap."

I gripe and complain about the cost of food... just as much as anyone. I am often "immune" to the sticker shock... but it is really hard to leave the Northern/Co-op without spending at least $30. It doesn't matter what I buy. It is always $30.

Today: bagles, sliced roast beef, small package of cheese, mayo, mustard: $30.

10lbs Potatoes, sour cream, butter: $30

Pepperoni pizza, 2 cans pepsi, 2L milk: $30

It doesn't matter the nutritional value, it doesn't matter the brand. It is ALWAYS thirty bucks.

2 comments:

Megan February 13, 2008 at 4:12 PM  

During the CBC lockout, the woman who had your job ran a contest on her blog: she went shopping and posted photos of the groceries she bought. Readers were asked to guess how much money she paid.

My guess was based on the prices of similar items in Inuvik and was two to three times the amount everyone else was guessing.

The prize was Charlie Panigoniak's autographed picket sign. It's hanging on the back of my office door.

Rob, Tina and the boys February 13, 2008 at 11:23 PM  

I'll ask Rob what the average here is. BUT I hear a new challenge on Nunavut Nonesense!