2/2/08

Hotel Jackie, population: 2

So the biggest news of this week... except for the Nunies hullabaloo.... is that I now have a roomie!

It kind of came all of a sudden... a friend needed a place to live for a bit, and I had an extra bedroom, and VOILA!

It's kind of funny, I lived with Robyn and Andrea for four years... and its disgusting the system we had worked out. I really couldn't have asked for better living companions. I really noticed how much easier they made my life when I moved out, by myself, to my Quebec apartment.

And I learned several things about myself:

  • I hate hate hate taking out the garbage. I'm more likely to walk past a garbage bag for WEEKS than I would take it downstairs or out to the curb. This was especially lame as in Quebec, garbage pickup was EVERY DAY at my apartment (because I lived behind a restaurant). So it wasn't like I'd miss the day then have to wait for a week. Nope, I'd just never take it down.
  • I also despise sweeping. And not like specifically the pushing the dirt around with the broom. Nope, its quirkier than that. I hate gathering it into the dustpan. In fact, the other day, when Jaime/Jeff were coming over to help me paint, I did a quick clean of my apartment, but when I finished sweeping, I was like GOD I DON'T WANT TO PUT THIS IN THE DUSTPAN... so I swept it into a recess in the bathroom, and put my laundry basket over it so no one could see. It is still there.
  • I have a fear of mold and really pungent food smells. So if I don't eat something that was in a tupperware container(be it in the fridge or under my bed when I was a kid)... and I forget to take the lid off and wash it... I will likely throw out the entire container. It's for my own safety, really. Certain meals have been completely ruined for me because I smelled its rotting cousin. And it takes awhile for me to recover.
So my poor new roomie will have a very quirky woman to deal with... though I do think she's at least willing to grin and bear it.

I hope.

Because I really need someone to take out the garbage.

14 comments:

Anonymous February 2, 2008 at 1:49 PM  

Now I know where all those tupperware containers went!!!!!now if someone would fess up to the missing sock.

Mom

Anonymous February 2, 2008 at 3:20 PM  

Do you take back all the mean things you said about my obsessive cleaning habits?

- Andrea

Anonymous February 2, 2008 at 8:19 PM  

I had roommates while I was in Ottawa too. For me, it was all about getting use to other people's "living habits". Most of the time it was a pure annoyance. So living solo is bliss.

David S.

Jaime February 2, 2008 at 11:15 PM  

Haha Andrea, I keep hearing about what a clean freak you were. :P


Jaime, the roomie.

Rob, Tina and the boys February 2, 2008 at 11:58 PM  

Don't forget, you also need someone to hold the dustpan for you. You really need a Lenny. Then you could say goodbye to your dustpan forever. Jaime is your roomie? HUH? Jaime really needs to update her blog!

Jaime February 3, 2008 at 12:05 AM  

My blog is "Nunavut Newbies" not "Nunavut Newlyweds." :P


Jaime

Jackie S. Quire February 3, 2008 at 12:11 AM  

Tina! What is this "lenny" you speak of?
I initially thought he was someone for hire!

Kate Nova February 3, 2008 at 9:37 AM  

I absolutely cannot stand cleaning my tub. I don't even mind cleaning the toilet, sinks, etc, just the tub. I understand the cleaning quirk thing, believe me!

Shelagh February 3, 2008 at 8:15 PM  

I have an adversion to cleaning the fridge. There is always a mystery tupperware container in there that possibly may contain the cure to penicillin. *shudder*

Rob, Tina and the boys February 4, 2008 at 12:31 PM  

I'll repost a picture of Lenny for you. :)

jen February 4, 2008 at 12:53 PM  

OK do you really know this Barb person, cause I think it is just Junk Mail. I have seen this particular message on a few peoples blogs.

Jackie S. Quire February 4, 2008 at 12:58 PM  

Jen:
Nope. It's spam. How annoying.

jennifer of nunablog February 4, 2008 at 9:04 PM  

Jaime/Jeff as in Nunavut Newbies? Where the heck are they? They totally dropped out of the blog-o-sphere!

Jaime February 5, 2008 at 10:00 PM  

I'll explain it in a few months when I know what I have to say. :D


Jaime