1/17/09

Basic blogging questions

Non-reader asks: So... what IS a "blog"?

So I was sitting at the Kissarvik Co-op, enjoying one last meal with friends before three of us fly away to different parts of Mexico... when the topic of my blog came up. I didn't MEAN for it to become a topic of conversation, but it did. I was saying what I was doing in Yellowknife, and one of my friends asked "So, you have friends in Yellowknife?" (somewhat aghast, because if I did have friends in Yellowknife, she'd be sure to know - I'm a talker, what can I say?)

I hemmed and hawed and finally spat out "Well, they are blogging friends"

And they all laughed.

One person even joked, (nearly choking on his french fry, I might add) "are you having a BLOGGING SYMPOSIUM"

My response: Yah, absolutely we are.

Then his girlfriend asks "Okay, but what IS a blog?"

Dun-dun DUUUUUUUN!

I've discovered the only thing more difficult to explain than "I *know* such-and-such a person through their blog" is "What IS a blog."

Because blogs aren't the same thing to everyone who writes them.

Some people write for themselves, and only themselves. These rarely see the light of day, and may-or-may-not include the intimate details of a person's life that they may-or-may-not share with others in their non-digital existence.

Some people write for family: I liken these to a less-invasive mass email update - - I had one of these once, when I was in France.

Some write for a "small" audience: Targeted ramblings like a "Recipe blog" or photoblog...

While others write for a wide audience: I think a lot of the Nunavut Bloggers have seen their blogs reach this category... we started out writing for ourselves or our families... but now we have widened our scope. Now we even write for other bloggers, people looking to move to the North, people who want to live vicariously through our writing...

And that's pretty cool. But it's not an easy thing to explain. Neither is:

"So, what do you write about?"

But that's another post. :P

5 comments:

Jason January 17, 2009 at 2:50 PM  

Glad to have met you yesterday. But I'm much more glad your post is not about the weather like most post from bloggers in NU. No offence, but there is only so much I can take on reading about snow, the cold and blowing snow. Have a safe trip!

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan January 17, 2009 at 5:29 PM  

I have become a blogging addict now. Nearly three years I have kept it up, which really surprises me!

Anonymous January 17, 2009 at 5:45 PM  

Yep, I'm also an addict. And you're right, the blog was started to keep family and friends updated on our lives without having to send the mass emails. Now I find myself thinking through the day "so how can I blog this?"

towniebastard January 18, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

In a little less than 3.5 years I have written more than 1,200 blog posts. I shudder to think of how many words that is. Certainly a novel or two.

I do it because I like it, and that other people seem to get enjoyment out of it as well. If only one person was reading, I'd probably still be doing it. The alternative is to rant at Cathy all day, and I'm sure she would have divorced me by now if that was the case....;)

Jayne Aych January 19, 2009 at 4:56 PM  

I just moved home to Canada after 15 years in the States. I thought this would be a good way to keep in touch with my friends Stateside, and I already feel a sense of community.