1/7/09

Vacation nit-pick-ing

So I've been stressing out about my vacation.

Yep, that's right. I'm a complete-and-utter-moron for doing it, but for some reason I couldn't help myself. It's like a little scab. If I were wise (and listened to mommy) I would just leave the bloody thing (ha-ha) alone. But no. I'm a turd. So I pick-pick-pick.

Okay, it's not QUITE like picking at a scab. Stressing about my vacation planning doesn't make me bleed (yet). But it's totally not necessary. The vacation would have been fine if I didn't start nit-picking. But I did, and so I got all stressed, and had to start writing down an "agenda" for my 9-hour stay in Edmonton.

Yep. I've lost it.

Okay, but here's the deal. I arrive in Edmonton at 8am (assuming Canadian North takes off and arrives on time) and then take off for Mexico at 17:50. I want to do some running around town (hair cut and general "southern transformation" activities - come on, you know we all do it. We wear ratty sweats in the North, then pretty shoes, blazers and cashmere scarves once we reach "civilization" once more) so I rented a car. No biggie. 30 bucks. I can handle that. That's how much it would cost me to take the shuttle into town and then back to the airport - not to mention the misc. running around, that would probably have to be done in cabs. I pat myself on the back for the wise choice.

But then I get to thinking. I don't have a lot of time. And I have a lot of things on my to-do list. And I've never been to Edmonton. And I HATE getting lost. Maybe I'll rent a GPS unit. But then I thought some more (yep, burnin' rubber all around). There have been MANY occasions recently where a GPS would come in handy. The UK trip comes to mind. As well my Winnipeg visits. I seem to be spending a lot of time in unfamiliar cities as of late. And renting adds up. We didn't get one in the UK because it was going to cost more than the rental did. Ridiculous. And post-Christmas sales were good... so I started (just this week) looking into them.

Okay long, (boring shopping) story short: Futureshit doesn't let you pick up in store. Bestbuy didn't have any of the ones I wanted in stock. The Source was being a turd. Amazon only had ones that were more than 300 bucks. There was no guarantee I'd be able to find a reasonably-priced GPS by just driving around the Edmonton outskirts (probably getting lost and missing appointments on the way). So time was ticking. I start plugging in random key words like "gps, canada, fast, ship, PLEASE!" and hit the jackpot. Expresspost shipping. On sale. And more than enough time for it to get here.

So that's good.

In the end, I think I have it all figured out. One appointment at 10. Another at 2. Hit Shopper's Drug Mart before appointment. McDonald's in-between, Walmart on the way back (maybe). And little Tom-Tom to get me there seamlessly.

Now I just have to decide what the hell I'm packing for clothes(Canadian North and Air Transat have VERY DIFFERENT baggage allowances), what books I'm going to bring (probably the hardest decision... got to have the right "mood" and I'm a big reader, so who knows how many I'll go through, sitting on the beach)... and I have to figure out what I'm doing with the dog...

And CRAP. I have to get my keyboard repaired on my laptop too. Yeesh. Apparently the stressing out has only just begun...

:)

9 comments:

Anonymous January 7, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

Waiting in airports is the worst. Edmonton's airport isn't exactly exciting, either. Bring a journal and a good book!
Also, I hear you're going to be in town next Friday. w00t!

towniebastard January 7, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

Enjoy the vacation. Lord knows I'll enjoy it nearly as much without you calling my office all day...;)

(My word verification is "goevil". WTF?!)

Anonymous January 7, 2009 at 3:23 PM  

Curious what Cdn North flight you are arriving on, since I don't know of any scheduled to arrive at 8am?

For your easy-to-get-to big box shopping, try South Common. It's 10 mins from the airport, straight up Gateway Blvd, you can't miss it (turn off at the big IKEA). The newest and biggest futureshit store has opened there, and srangely enough they have a large sign at the customer service desk labelled: "Web Pick-up". Now I will have to ask them what that's about.

Jackie S. Quire January 7, 2009 at 3:40 PM  

Anon (whoever you are!):
Thanks for the tips!!! And re: the Futureshit webpickup... I was almost certain they did "ship to your closest store" but when I tried to do it online, I couldn't find that shipping option. Maybe it was me being blind, and not the store being difficult.

And you could be right, I may not be on Canadian North. I assumed I was, I didn't even consider that Air Canada services YK... and my flights were booked on Air Miles so I am not even sure. I'll double check.

TB: What-ever. You know you love my annoyingly-chipper little voice. And, I scored major brownie points for that story. You goevil little man :P

Laura: YES! Are you in for dinnah?

Jackie S. Quire January 7, 2009 at 3:50 PM  

Anon: The flight IS on Canadian North, but I arrive at 8:50 NOT 8:00. And the flight number is 0423.
Hope that helps!

Mongoose January 7, 2009 at 3:56 PM  

HA!

I dress just as ratty in Alberta as I do back home.

Me too, I'm working out what to pack for my month-long trip to Guatemala, England and France. I figure: a week's worth of underpants and socks, four turtlenecks, a back-up pair of jeans, a sweater, a towel, and a toothbrush. I'll be on a construction site most of the time anyway, so I don't have to get fancy. :)

Jackie S. Quire January 7, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

Mongoose:

WHAT?! IT'S A MONTH LONG NOW!!!??? I seem to remember back when this trip to France was going to be 7 days haha. I'm just jealouse, c'est vrai :P

See luckily for me, beach attire is significantly SMALLER volume-wise than "construction site in the middle of March" attire. I'm going to TRY to cram everything I need/want into a carry-on because as I just discovered I just lost an hour or so because I thought my flight got in at 8, not almost-9.

I'm a big "pack light"-er (which is what makes the book choice so difficult) on the way over, and a big "bring way too much shit"-er on the way back. But I blame that on the north :P

Anonymous January 7, 2009 at 4:34 PM  

I certainly am, sistah!

Mongoose January 8, 2009 at 1:57 PM  

Yeah, a month. A month of different climates, no less. Seeing as I will be taking ten different planes, plus trains, the subway in two European capitals, and maybe a boat, there's no way I'm checking any luggage. So I'm bringing nothing that I can't do without or buy onsite, particularly toiletries since you can't fly with shampoo in your carry-on nowadays. I'm not even bringing something to read on the plane, I plan to find some Guatemalan novels once I get there and read that the rest of the time. And of course Spy Camera will be there to keep me company. As for bringing stuff back, the only thing I plan to buy is a blankie in Guatemala. I'm sure they have interesting blankies. But I'll be mailing it home rather than lugging it myself.