1/8/09

Nunavut Blogging Awards... 2008!

So it's every Nunavut blogger's favourite time of year again... the NUNIES are up and running for the second year in a row. Aren't you excited??? I am!

Okay, I'm a *little* bit excited. Why? Because we've got a really cool thing going on up here (wa waaa). Something that's a little unique, and a lot interesting.

I have started and more or less abandoned 4 other blogs in my lifetime. Two of them were for my time in France (I actually thought I needed to have two one that was parent/family-safe and one that was for friends) and while I had some people comment, neither really ever took off and both ended when I left France. No biggie. Also, I wasn't really very good at the blogging thing at that point. I wrote REALLY long entries that would recoup all the events of the past week's travels etc. It was my first go at it, what can I say. The other two I abandoned more-or-less for the same reason. No one read them. And if I didn't want people to read my writing, it might as well be in a journal under my pillow.

And that's why I think the Nunies and our little Nunavut-blogging-community is so great, so important. We are an active part of one another's lives. We give advice, we lend an ear - even though we may live thousands of kilometers away. And that's pretty darn neat.

Like all the other bloggers have said, there are a lot of really great writers up here. And this year's is going to be a stiff competition, I'm sure. Some (like mine) have "graduated" from New Blog status, and have joined the ranks of the senior blogs (wow, write the word "blog" enough and it loses all meaning...).

But I digress.

Because just about all the Nunavut bloggers know the contest is on, I'm actually writing this for my southern readers, because they likely don't follow the same blogroll, and don't know the "rules" for the nominations.

So this is the deal:

There are two "rounds" for the blogging awards. The first is the nomination round. Any person, anywhere in the world can nominate up to five blogs in each of the two categories (Best Blog and New Blog). The blog MUST be written by a current or former Nunavut resident and/or be ABOUT Nunavut. If you are nominating for the New Blog category, then it has to have started up in 2008. My blog is NOT eligible for the New Blog category.

BUT only the TOP FIVE NOMINEES will actually get to the second round, the voting round. So if you like a blog, and you want to see it compete against other Nunavut blogs for the crown, SEND YOUR NOMINATION TO... nunavutblogs@yahoo.ca

You can send nominations up until the 12th of January (that's next Monday, folks). Shortly thereafter the voting will begin.

One last thing:

There's a small change in the Best Post category. A blogger nominates what they think is their OWN best post from 2008. Only the blogger can nominate a post from their OWN site.

Here's where I'd like some input. I've written a disgusting amount over the past year. 300+ posts, and frankly... I really can't remember most of them haha. I plan on going through my archives, but I wanted to ask YOU, READERS, if there is anything I've written that stuck out in your mind. That you remember in particular. That would make this whole self-nomination process a lot easier for me.

So, thanks to you, the readers, thanks to Clare, for the contest, and thanks to the many dedicated bloggers out there who tap away at their computers day in and day out, giving me ample material to read, think about and write on my own blog.

You rock.

7 comments:

Mongoose January 8, 2009 at 1:52 PM  

I'm so nominating you.

Jackie S. Quire January 8, 2009 at 2:09 PM  

Aww, thanks!

I meant to write a comment about your "Here I'll save you some time" post waaaay back when. But I was entering "fetus-state" at that point and had no energy.

But I'm all bouncy now, so I thought I'd tell you that I got a kick out of it (maybe even blushed a bit) and then laughed out loud at the "best puppy" bit.

:D

Mongoose January 8, 2009 at 2:14 PM  

Well I'm pretty sure you're the youngest blogger I read... It always makes me smile when you write things that remind me of me many years ago when I wasn't a bitter, cranky old boot yet.

As for your best post, my favourite is My dog is SMART: S-M-R-T, but knowing how other people are with blog posts about dogs (the fools!!!), I'll see if I can't find something that has a better chance of winning.

Mongoose January 8, 2009 at 2:34 PM  

Ok, I have to get off the computer for now, so my other suggestion so far is Temper Tantrum on the Tundra. It was pretty hilarious.

I'll let you know if I find more.

Anonymous January 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM  

I like your blog............Hope You win. LL

Jackie S. Quire January 8, 2009 at 10:04 PM  

Thanks, LL.
Honestly, I'd be more than thrilled if I just made it to the voting round, but the competition's stiff... we'll have to wait and see!

Soundproofing Contractors Overland Park November 25, 2022 at 5:08 AM  

Thanks for a grreat read