1/14/08

Something to think about

I was perusing the CBC.ca site today (yes, not only do I work for them, I'm a total addict) and came across a veeery interesting "in-depth" article about the media's use of Facebook photos.

Take a look, it kind of made me think about the photos I've posted on my blog.

Though I guess you have to remember that public means public. If you aren't willing to post what you write on your blog on a billboard somewhere, then you're writing the wrong things, I suppose.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/tech/internet/facebook-legal.html


And Kate Nova... if you read this... maybe you can explain to me the whole "creative commons license" in the comments?

2 comments:

Kate Nova January 14, 2008 at 9:58 PM  

I don't know a whole lot, but it was first recommended to me by a few photographers and I liked what I read about it.
Basically, Creative Commons (http://creativecommons.org/) is a non-profit charity providing some copyright protection. (Theoretically, that is, as I'm not sure how much precedence has been set and because the whole copyright thing online is fairly new.) According to their site it's all been drafted with proper legalese.
You can choose how you want/don't want your work to be used, and by whom. For instance, I chose to share with non-commercial folks with attribution.
I've had a friend recently find his work printed in a northern magazine without attribution, which is bunk. So the poaching does happen. At least if you have creative commons you are one step closer to protecting your rights - by saying, resoundingly, THAT'S MINE.
Hope that helps...

Anonymous January 17, 2008 at 8:45 AM  

Did you see the CBC coverage of the deaths of the 8 people from Bathurst (7 basketball players)? Lot's of Facebook there.

Mom