11/18/08

I just can't BEAR it anymore!*

So for quite some time... actually since bloody Kate Nova was in Rankin Inlet back at the end of this summer... I've been on bear-duty.

Actually, I take that back. I was on GRIZZLY bear duty months before that when they were hanging around outside Rankin, breaking into cabins etc...

But ever since she came up, and we attended the NWMB board meeting... I probably do about one bear story per week.

But then the polar bears invaded Arviat. Because of the way the town's situated, the bears have to come quite close to town to get to the sea ice on their migratory path. But this year, well they have made themselves comfy in town. Lots of seal and caribou meat, don't you know.

And now.... shit it's only Tuesday and I've already written 3 polar bear stories.

The one that creeps people out the most (myself included)? Yesterday, this 18-year old girl and her 15-year old sister were walking to their grandmother's place, when a polar bear appeared in
front of them, and began to chase them until they got to the closest house. Not long after, the bear was shot.

I don't know, man. All I can say is I'm glad I live here... and bears are much less likely to come near... let alone into town.

I'm not sure how effective a bear-hunting dog Sully would be.


*Okay, well that's kind of a gross exaggeration, but I thought it was punny and couldn't think of a better blog post title. Bet you are jealous and want to steal my wittiness, eh TB?


UPDATE: KARA! I THINK YOU WON SOMETHING IN THE SPARK CONTEST. CHECK IT OUT.

4 comments:

Mongoose November 18, 2008 at 9:24 PM  

Allegedly, bears are just like the rest of us and run from yappy little dogs. I don't know how yappy corgies are, but since you were thinking about another puppy, you could get a chihuahua for bear protection.

On the other hand, I've heard that dogs are apt to piss off the bear and then come running back to the pack for protection, with the bear in pursuit. So, if you and your future chihuahua get killed by a polar bear, don't say I didn't warn you.

Personally I don't trust my dog when it comes to bears. She loves to pick fights with things bigger than her, especially when they have lots of pointy ends.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan November 18, 2008 at 11:49 PM  

Score! So how do I claim my prize....

Kate Nova November 19, 2008 at 12:11 PM  

Haha, you make it sound like I brought the bears!!!
I heard your interview with the Arviat wildlife guy last night, and I learned something new. I had never heard of "polar bear jail" before. We definitely don't have one of those in the capital.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan November 19, 2008 at 8:39 PM  

Guess what! I did win the prize! A shopping bag! I could have much better used a new vehicle or even a new stove... but a new shopping bag will still be handy :)