11/26/08

Night and Day

It's actually kind of funny. In my first year in the North I somehow managed to be down south on vacation during both the winter and summer solstice. So I missed the longest and shortest days of the year.

In all my years in "Southern Canada" I never really acknowledged these landmarks.

Sure, the days got shorter in December, I'd get home from school and shortly thereafter it would be dark. At 4 pm! Imagine! And crawling out of bed at 6:00 to get movin' on the paper route was more difficult in the winter months, than the summer (though that could have equally been because of the cold, not the light).

But really? It was no big deal. But up here, everyone's SO SERIOUS about the daylight change. People warn one another to purchase sun lamps, they openly talk about getting depressed from the lack of sun...

Stuff we'd never really consider back home. Hell I'd never heard of Seasonal Affectedness Disorder before I moved up North.

So this year, I'm here for Christmas. And I think I'll be here in June. So while I may have missed those seasonal landmarks last year... I'll be damned if I miss them a second time.

1 comments:

Trace November 26, 2008 at 8:49 PM  

So how do most people up there deal with having SAD? Other than using sun lamps, that is.