11/6/08

The new template

Hey all,
So I've found a template I'm pretty sure I love. It's very "me" - - the colour, the note pad style, etc. etc.
But I'm having a little bit of trouble "customizing" it, because it was a free template, there's not much support in the way of getting help... so I was hoping there might be someone out there in Blog World who knows how to read XML/HTML.
The two "big" problems are...

  1. The links at the top (home, about, archives) all link back to the main page, ("home") rather than what they are supposed to link to. I have a feeling this is a really easy edit, I just don't know how to do it.
  2. The "widgets" (features) at the side are too long (and I'd actually prefer NOT to have the "labels" be there) - again an easy fix, I think, if only I knew how to read code.
So yah, if anyone out there can read XML/HTML or knows someone who can... please... let me know - I'll make sure to give you credit! I really like the way this looks, I just need to tweak it a bit to make it functional.

Thanks so much

6 comments:

Kennie November 6, 2008 at 7:28 PM  

Very Snazzy Jackie!

OK - The labels. You can remove those by going into Dashboard, then to layout and just deleting them. From there you can add back in your links to other blogs widgets and what not.

The links at the top .....

Go back into edit template and then into edit HTML .. and look for the following code snippit:

div id = menu-holder ul id= menu
li id='home' a href='/'Home /a /li
li id='about' a href='/' About /a /li
li id='archives' a href='/' Archives /a /li"

should be about halfway down. All you have to do is replace the '/' with what ever url you want it to link to ie:

li id='home' a href='http://rankin-inlet.blogspot.com/' Home /a /li

** all of the <> have been removed here as blogger was being anal retentive about posting code in the comments

that should solve those two issues.

Good luck!

Jackie S. Quire November 7, 2008 at 10:19 AM  

Hey Kennie,
THANK YOU!
Your mastery of HTML/XML is admirable.
Turns out, because of the way the template is made, I can't alter the sidebar elements, but I WAS able to manipulate the top tabs...
One last question: Do you know how to edit the font size?
Thanks!
Jackie

Kate Nova November 7, 2008 at 10:52 AM  

Thank god for Kennie's tech-iness. All I have to say is "preeeetty."

Jackie S. Quire November 7, 2008 at 11:03 AM  

Agreed. There was a point there where I thought I was going to have to abandon the template. I wanted to keep some of the features of my old site (Northern Living links, About Me, About my blog...) and I didn't think I could do that in the confines of this beautiful, but restrictive, template.
But I just created a new page, linked it to the "about" tab, and stuffed all that info there.

All in All... I think this one will stick around for a bit...

Kennie November 7, 2008 at 5:21 PM  

hmmm... font size....

I believe if you go to here (it's near the top)

search .txtField
border:1px solid #fff
width:138px
margin:0
padding:3px
font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif
font-size:12pt

and change font-size to say 14pt or 16pt that might do it.

but then again it could be here (about halfway down

content .col01 .meta
font-size:11px
text-align:right
background:url(http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f147/gosutemplate/line.gif) repeat-x
padding-top:8px

with any luck one of these options will work.... I'll let it run through my mind on what can be done to "nuke" the categories.

Anonymous November 8, 2008 at 6:04 AM  

Love this template, Jackie...it' looks very professional....yet relaxing , colourful yet not "busy"......very much you.

Take Care,
Hugs,
Geri