11/16/08

Shhh...

Okay, so I've been a bit quiet this weekend, but such is often the case as of late.

I do a lot of writing professionally and for this blog during the week... and tend to spend my weekend time with friends or out on the land (for you newbies, one of our big 'hobbies' up here is going out of town for drives on our ATVs and Snowmobiles - - I never thought I'd be that kind of person, but when the opportunity's there... why not?).

So this weekend, we went out to Sarah and Paul's cabin (aka, VERY rustic cottage). It's a good 45-minute drive via snowmobile... and the longest I've ever driven The Beast (official name for the Skidoo. Not very original, but oh well)... and in the coldest weather too. It was about -25 today (luckily, very little wind) and the faster you go, the colder it feels on the machine.

But for the most part... I can honestly say... I was warm! I was trying out this new combo I dreamed up when I was searching for a good "out on the land" jacket/parka. I have a BEAUTIFUL Canada Goose jacket... that I absolutely LOVE, but I just can't bundle up as much as I would like to, it's just not big enough. (Don't even get me started how tragic that whole story is).

So I thought I'd experiment. I bought a 650-fill down jacket from Cabela's (it was a freakin' steal - only cost me 50 bucks or something) and a wind-proof top layer. I did the research, and tried to figure out, given the measurements how BIG that top layer would have to be, to fit over the down jacket... and sweaters... and my bib-snowpants .... etc. Anyways, it was ACTUALLY warmer than my Canada Goose (for some reason, I always found my shoulders/arms got cold). So I'm stoked. Now all I need is a nice fur for the hood, and I'll be set. So for a fraction of the price of my original jacket, I've found an even better solution. I'm just SO smart haha.

Anyone besides me notice how much frickin' time we spend up here in search of the ULTIMATE WARMEST WINTER GEAR? Shit, back home, its like "Columbia? Okay, no prob, ring it through." Here, there's so many factors. I must own over a thousand dollars worth of winter gear ... and I'm still on the search for the ULTIMATE BALACLAVA and the ULTIMATE MITTS.

Finally, yes. As I'm sure you figured, my skidoo is up and running again. It sat at work overnight Friday, still wouldn't run come Saturday. Then Good Friend Paul suggested we try new spark plugs. AND IT WORKED. Man, when that machine turned over, I just WHOOPED, and was jumping up and down hugging him. I think he was a little surprised. But honestly, there was a point there when I SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED selling the thing. It just was THAT depressing.

Bottom line? "Eights rock" (Nope, don't really know what that means, but I know my new spark plugs are 'eights' and whatever was in there before was NOT eights. Therefore, "eights" rock.)

4 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan November 16, 2008 at 8:20 PM  

For the ultimate balaclava get one from Helly Hanson!! They are spectacular. Layer it under your toque and you are set.

Anonymous November 16, 2008 at 9:23 PM  

Ultimate mitts? Caribou. By far the warmest mitts I've ever worn.

Meandering Michael November 17, 2008 at 12:49 AM  

As far as mitts go, you can't beat sealskin or moosehide coated with beaver. The moosehide option may not be readily available in your neck of the scrubby willows, but I bet you can get a good pair of custom-made sealskin mittens if you ask around. They'll be worth every penny.

Anonymous November 17, 2008 at 2:52 PM  

Let me explain the 'eights' for you... there are different numbers of spark plugs, the most common kind are NGK.
NGK xxx9xx plugs are for springtime, or fall, when it isn't very cold...
NGK xxx8xx plugs are for the real cold winter, because the spark is hotter on these kind of plugs...

Either kind of plugs will work in a jam, but 8 is better for the winter.... I would advise you to buy 3 sets of spare plugs, and keep'em in your machine!

And, while we're at it, make sure your skidoo isn't frozen to the ground before you drive it after its been sitting overnight... lift up the skis, and move the back end to the side a bit.... both can freeze to the ground and mess up your belt if you don't unstick'em first.!! Happy riding!