10/18/07

Loving small-town living

I have to admit. There is something just absolutely charming about this place.

I was a little hesitant at first, not really sure if this crazy change was going to work for me, and I'm still not exactly "at home" in my new apartment, but that will come.

But I'm starting to get used to... and genuinely like, that people know my name. I like that I can walk into the bank, and have the bank manager not only greet me by my first name but genuinely HELP ME make decisions.

Sometimes its a bit strange, like today when I was walking down the main aisle of the Northern, a gentleman I totally didn't recognize said "Hi Jackie" ... all I could do was smile and say hi right back, but I think it was pretty obvious I had no clue who he was.

I think I stand out a bit here, not necessarily because I SCREAM southern in my actions and attire, but maybe a bit more because of my hair. I've yet to see another redhead in this community. But I'm good with that. In fact, in spite of this... I was taken for Inuit on my first day at work.

There are constantly people flowing through here, mostly speaking little to no English... today, there was even a mute fellow who came by to "talk" to my co-worker. He's a really interesting guy, (the co-worker, I mean). He's not young by any means ... but he's constantly helping people out... and though his English is limited, he's just so friendly to me. And keeps finding words for me to try and say in Inuktitut.

That's pretty big with at least two of my co-workers here, getting me/teaching me Inuktitut. I was a little hesitant about it my first couple days, but am slowly warming up to the idea. Not because I didn't want to learn (I have even considered classes, remember) but rather because I was just so crazy overwhelmed with the rest of my world. I couldn't handle another language. I'm still dealing a bit with that. But it's great that they are so engaging about it. It really helps.

In other news.... I'M BUYING A HONDA! WWoooooT!!! And for you "southerners" who think that means I'm buying a Civic .... not even close. It's a four-wheeler/ATV and I am sooooo excited. I went to the bank today, and did all the paperwork for a loan, and I'll hear back tomorrow around lunch time. Then I just cross the street, get the Northern to write up a bill, cross the street again, get the money and it's ALL MINE! It's crazy, but it makes sense. I want something that can get me to work when I don't feel like walking, or during the winter, it will be nice for groceries etc. I don't know what it's like in other communities, but they are EVERYWHERE here. Kinda like the way taxis are in Iqaluit. I'm just so pumped to have my OWN transportation. Its nuts.

I'm pretty much decided I'm going to get the Honda TRX250. It's a good beginner ATV. It's on sale at the northern, and (god forbid) if I ever need parts, they are very easy to come by.
I'm not sold on the colour, but that's a small detail. Maybe I'll even get to drive it home from work tomorrow. I CAN'T WAIT!

5 comments:

jen October 18, 2007 at 5:25 PM  

Wow! That's fantastic, I am very jealous! Yep they are pretty common in most communities. They aren't so good here for going on the land with, because our area is hilly, but as I hear it's much better in Rankin because it's flatter. I am hoping we get a snowmobile this year.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan October 18, 2007 at 5:26 PM  

You should get a skidoo instead! you can use it more months of the year. Or better yet, get both! We have two quads and two skidoos and I love them soooo much!

Anonymous October 18, 2007 at 7:14 PM  

HI Jackie,
Your first four wheeled vechicle... That is so exciting..I am so proud of you. Enjoy and does the helmut come as an addition or do you have to purchase that as well. Have to preserve that beautiful red hair...
Prisiclla

Kennie October 18, 2007 at 7:58 PM  

I agree with kara and matt ... buy both a honda and a skidoo! I wish I was able to buy one of them... but with the Student Loan Gnomes biting at my ankles I'm going to have to skip buying any form of wheels this year :-( but thankfully, there is enough of them around town , so I could always borrow / rent one if needed.

Rob, Tina and the boys October 18, 2007 at 8:53 PM  

Yeah buying through the Northern! You should take a picture of the Northern when you're there picking up your Honda! I think once we get settled we will end up selling our Pathfinder and buy a Honda and a skidoo. I can't wait to see pictures of you on it!