10/6/07

Jackie's Angst-giving

I am inexplicably angsty today.

My laptop keyboard is too warm, it is making my hands sweat. My apartment is too dirty, but I don't feel like cleaning it. I don't have any clothes, but washing them feels too much a bother.

Hopefully I will snap out of this asap. Tonight is Joanne's goodbye party/potluck. And then Kevin has promised/made me promise to go to the legion.

I think I'm just a little sad that I'm not home for Thanksgiving. I know I was just home a couple weeks ago, but this is actually the first year ever that I won't be with my family at Thanksgiving. Its not like its a big to-do at my place, but I just, I absolutely love the way my family cooks Thanksgiving dinner.

Enough potatoes to feed and army. A giant turkey, expertly carved by dad, with a bowl of warm cranberry sauce nestled in-between the white and dark meat. The parsnip/carrot mix. Sweet potatoes. Turnips mom's way, with just a dash of brown sugar. Oh god. My grandmother's to-die-for stuffing (that I can't, no matter how hard I try, replicate). And my own personal addition, squash a la Jackie -- usually straight from the garden.

I have to be honest. I love Thanksgiving. Our Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners are basically the exact same, but there seems to be so much more pressure around Christmas. Thanksgiving is more relaxed. And that works for me.

I've been invited by Joanne to a turkey-day potluck on Monday, where there will be probably most of the things I mentioned. But there's something to be said for the anticipation surrounding Nan's stuffing, and knowing exactly what it will taste like when I mash my potatoes and turnips together. It's a comfort thing. And I'll miss it.

Maybe I'll just have to go to Arctic Ventures/the northern and spend a week's per diem on one day's meal. Why not? After all, I DO have a dishwasher (and my parents don't... ah HA! One thing I will not miss this Thanksgiving).

3 comments:

Anonymous October 6, 2007 at 1:15 PM  

HI Jackie...

What a nice salute to your family, Jackie..everyone will miss you too..oh well, two more sleeps & it will be all over !

We have had a beautiful couple of weeks back on PEI...somedays we can even still wear 'almost' summer clothes !

Will write in another day or so.

I won't wish you Happy Thanksgiving !!!!

Love,
Geri

Rob, Tina and the boys October 7, 2007 at 11:17 AM  

I feel the same. This is the first time we will not be home for Thanksgiving as we only moved here in June. Luckily, we have great friends here that are cooking a big thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, and the boys and I are going to a Thanksgiving potluck with the teachers today. And as for shopping at the Northern, DO IT! Some stuff isn't all THAT bad for prices. And, of course, there are great people who work there! HINT HINT! :)

Rob, Tina and the boys October 7, 2007 at 11:22 AM  

And as for your internet question (sorry I haven't had time to keep up reading all the blogs, the baby has been sick and cranky) I have NetKaster. It cost me 99.99 for the dish and the modem, and 299.99 for installation (they had a wicked sale on). It's a 3 year contract but the dish can be moved when you move and they'll set it up again (I don't know if there is another installation charge for that) but it's not too bad. It gets slow at night when it's cloudy (as it is satellite) but it's better than dial up. And, if you move to an area that NetKaster doesn't support, you can return the dish and the modem for 150.00 and you'll be out of your contract. Their customer customer is amazing, and as long as you're prepared for a slower connection at night, it's great.