10/7/07

A surreal experience

So after all my whining yesterday, finally buckling down and doing laundry, and treating myself to a 14-dollar frozen pepperoni pizza...

I had an incredible, unreal, unforgettable experience.

I saw the Northern Lights.

Now, let me set the record straight. The Northern Lights was like THE thing that justified moving up north for me. I don't know why, but it's just... I felt that if something so beautiful could exist up here....I could get along just fine.

After all, when I was five I PLAYED a Northern Light in my ballet class. A beautiful turquoise Northern Light. I rocked.

But ever since I arrived, I either didn't really "get" how I should go about seeing them... or the forecast has been "quiet." I think maybe it just came down to not going outside past 7pm. My loss.

But last night, as Kevin and I were walking across town to Joanne's going away party/potluck, there they were. I was by the CIBC, and I just happened to look out towards the harbour/breakwater, and I saw this little wisp of lighter sky. I thought it was just a cloud at first, and then I realized it had a slightly green tint. And there they were. Not much to brag about at first. Just a fleck in the night sky... but as my excitement grew... as did the light display. Soon they cut across the sky, right above my head, a giant swirl of dancing green atmosphere, marked with flecks of pink.

And did they ever dance. At this point, we were standing on a slatted walkway, and I wanted nothing more than to just lay down on the boardwalk and stare at the sky. I remember one swirl, right above my head, Kevin pointed it out, because at the time I was mesmerized by the sweeping green over the houses in front of me. And it was a tightly knit swirl that looked so much closer than the rest, I felt like if I just had ... a ladder or, if I were standing on a rooftop, maybe I could touch them.

I wonder what it would be like to fly at night. Would you see them? Would it feel like they surround you, or would they feel just even more infuriatingly close but still painfully far away.

10 comments:

Rob, Tina and the boys October 7, 2007 at 3:33 PM  

A good friend of ours is a pilot and said that they are amazing from the air. I totally agree with you about the lights. We have seen then 2x now and the first time I saw them I just wanted to cry. I watch in amazement as the people around here don't even look up when the lights are out, but I guess it's like everything else. If you see it all the time it looses it's novelty. Not for me though. I don't think I would ever get bored of it. Seeing them dance is the best.

Jaime October 7, 2007 at 5:09 PM  

Unfortunately the lights aren't too great in Rankin. They are mostly pale green. I once saw some sky blue mixed in and that was probably the best I ever saw.

Did I tell you the plan for painting when you get here?! Haha...Since we both want to paint our apartments, I think it would be a good idea if I helped you paint and then you helped me? That way it's more fun and it gets done quicker. What do you think? Yay or nay?

--Jaime

Jackie S. Quire October 7, 2007 at 5:36 PM  

Jaime:
Apparently, they are going to be really active in about 2 weeks. Hopefully there'll be something interesting.
And re: painting....
Yay yay yay, a million times yay!! Painting is so much fun, but can get so dull and annoying and frustrating and boring if you have to do it alone.
Wow, it sounds like I don't want to but I SO DO.
I even (you are not going to believe this) brought my painting supplies (rollers, brushes, pans) from Quebec City. It's coming up between the 15-19th... so ... in other words, my arrival = t-minus a week or so.
I'm so pumped to have my stuff back.
And so pumped to PAINT baby! hehe.

Rob, Tina and the boys October 7, 2007 at 11:55 PM  

Sounds like you're a faithful watcher of the Northern Lights Forecast. It's great to see someone as addicted to it as we are!

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan October 8, 2007 at 12:23 AM  

I grew up in northern BC and the lights there were always amazing. Up here there are not half as good. We would get them in pinks and purples at home as well. I miss that!

Anonymous October 8, 2007 at 6:03 AM  

They ar eamazing aren't they..I almost cried the first time I saw them as well. I was in awe.. To know that God created something that beautiful renews my faith..

Happy Turkey weekend..We are off to Hall's Harbour today to see the tides.

Priscila

Anonymous October 8, 2007 at 2:41 PM  

I flew from Seattle to Anchorage. We had quite the light show. It was a Thanksgiving trip and it was a spectacular sight out the plane window. Susan

Jaime October 8, 2007 at 7:09 PM  

Woo hoo, a week!

I'm glad you like the idea of helping each other paint. Did you want to pick out paint colours together, too? That sounds really corny but I mean, we can give each other colour advice and then go down to Umingmak to get the paint.

--Jaime

Jackie S. Quire October 8, 2007 at 8:08 PM  

Jaime:

Of course! I am game for anything, seriously. I think I kinda know what sort of colours I want, but I don't know what my furniture etc. looks like yet, so it is totally still up in the air.

Warning: I refuse to support you if you intend to paint anything pink.

And I reserve the right to mock that decision :P

So pumped!

Anonymous October 8, 2007 at 11:11 PM  

Note to Jaime:

Don't let Jackie peel your walls. No matter how fun it may seem at the time. It just adds up to extra work for you, and weird orange paint peelings everywhere. Otherwise, have fun :)

Robyn